1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I\\\'m new here

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by trickypjh, Mar 5, 2001.

1. trickypjh

trickypjh LawnSite Member

You have no idea how great this site has been for me... typed in "snow plowing" last night and here I am. Some background: I just moved to Western Mass. from California. I've been here a year now, and frankly, after last years winter, I seriously wondered what all the winter fuss was about. OK, now I understand, as this winter has been long, long, long and very cold to boot. And the snow, it just keeps coming. Anyway, I have a very tough driveway (runway asphalt), almost .25 up a hill, straightens out, then a steep curve/slope, and finally, the top of the driveway. I know this driveway like the palm of my hand because I have a VW Jetta that can't get up the hill. So I walk. Locals laugh at me because I purchased the house in the summer, and little did I know...

Have I bored you to death yet?

So, after the first snow in November, I realized I was not going to pay $100 bucks a pop to have my driveway plowed. I found a local w/ a 71' Toyota Land Cruiser, plow included, in mint condition. Best purchase I have ever, ever made in my life. Other than the night I said "no problem, I'll plow in the morning" all has been well, although I learned a great lesson that next morning... my back is still killing me from the shoveling! I feel confident w/ the plowing. I have learned to keep it wide, take my time, etc. My main issue is ice: how do I handle this? Should I get another truck and attach a spreader? Can I attach a spreader to the Toyota? How much sand should I get next year? What about salt? Should I get a mix? WIll salt damage the driveway? As you can see, I'm a rookie, and am somewhat humbled by my lack of knowledge here. However, I love New England, and plan on staying here forever, so I better get this figured out now.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your replies.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

welcome to lawnsite. the information you will find out is amazing.
  3. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

trickypjh, welcome and hope you enjoy your stay. Most of the question's you asked can be answered better by other members here, I'm knew here myself and don't want to give you the wrong info. You can also use the search feature and to find other post that will answer your question's. Or just sit tight and I'm sure someone will be here soon. lol

4. oldmankent

oldmankent LawnSite Member

tricky, i'm new as well, but I think I could put a few ideas in your head. Those old cruisees are the sh*t. not sure how much $$$ you want to spend, but I'd think you might be able to get a trailer hitch spreader that would hold enough sand/salt to do your driveway. Just have to check what a hitch for your toy. is rated at for tongue weight. Also, don't know if the barn doors might get in the way if the spreader sticks out forward? Someone could tell you. I tend to side with environment, and would sand the crap out of your road, as opposed to salting it, but salting would most likely take less effort, but would do more harm to pavement, but probably not that much. hope this helps. by the way, how long is your drive overall?? not 25'? good luck
  5. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. I would just go to your local home depot (hardware store) and buy a walk behind broadcast fertilizer spreader for salting, this should take care of your driveway for the minimum dollar. As for the landcruiser, I think they are a good ole plow vehicle, as long as you can get parts for them.
  6. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

First off welcome to our home.

The people here are the greatest and free with very good information.
    Last year I handled a 109 home plat as far as salting went and what I used was an Agri-Fab spreader purchased from Lowe's ($138.00) it did a great job and I'm sure that you could find a way to hitch it to the back of your 'cruiser.
    The only thing I did to the spreader was to buy some very light weight chain from the store and fashioned my own little tire chain for the drive side tire.
    Good luck with your drive and once again Welcome.

7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I know Meyer makes a mini-spreader that goes right in to your trailer hitch. That would probably be the best route to go since you say you have a few hills and curves in your drive. But, like oldmankent said, you may not be able to open the rear doors of your truck when the spreader is on.

Click here:

The Meyer Mini Jr. would be perfect for your application. Good luck!

8. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

First off, I'd like to say "welcome" to the forum. I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say I look forward to sharing info with and learning from you.

As for ice, I think tire chains work the best on that. I don't feel I'm qualified to answer the salt/sand questions, but I agree with the guys saying a hitch mount spreader is a good idea - depends on how much $$ you want to spend too, of course.
  9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome aboard.
    The ideas on spreading salt are on target. If you want to stay inexpensive and do your own drive, buy a good ($100+) spreader. SJ71 hit with the Meyers if that would suit you better. I have no knowledge of any damaging effects of regular salt on asphalt though enough of the runoff won't do your plants much good. Salt eats concrete and steel. If you just mant to do your drive you could use mag chloride sold as several different name brands. More expensive, melts to a lower temp., more enviro friendly. Or find some magic treated salt( do a search on this site) and tell us what YOU think of it.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome-I love old Land Cruisers,I had 2 of thrm,they were my first plow trucks.If I were you-get a 2" reciever mount for the back,and use any of the tailgate spreaders that attach to them.Good luck.