I made $135 net (about $250 gross) in a half hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Nov 8, 2000.

1. The Lesco $21.20 with state tax demo echo hand blower arrived by UPS this am. So I took the day off since it is too dry (no rain since Oct 15) to grind leaves and rain is in the forecast.

I got it started in two pulls but rpms were low and I knew right away what is the problem. This problem was that this was lent out to a customer who mixed petroleum-based oil in the fuel at 50 to 1.

So I just proceed to take the thing apart and take the muffler off to find half+ of the exhaust port closed by carbon.

In order to have two-cycle equipment up it it's fullest potential one needs to only do two things.

1. Clean the exhaust port, gaskets and muffler once a year plus throw out the screen.

2. Run amsoil 100 to 1 synthetic two-cycle oil. This oil produces very little carbon and there is very little smoke or odor. I mix mine at 80 to 1 since I have "older" equipment and it's just easy to calibrate with the size of my gas can.

Now before I go I am going to leave you kids with another tip. Go to discount dept store and buy an old wooden "scrub"
    brush about 4" wide. Now get the drill out and drill two holes through the brush then mount to the bottom of the discharge opening on your hand blower. Just move the brush over any wet grass left on walks and ways from mower wheels and say bye bye clippings.

BTW the $21 blower just plain screams.

Here are the pics of the carbon build up before and after.
    Notice the liberal use of duct tape. Red Green would be proud.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1209854&a=9843035

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

If anyone can fall in it and come up smelling good it has to be Stone. You did real good on that one.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Larry, I thought about the "scrub" brush idea over the summer. I just never acually made one.

4. Getmow I also "found" a set on nearly new P235-15 m & s tires on chrysler rims for $125. I am going to put them on my lead sled leBaron.

At 1 1/2" taller than P205s the car should ride better and get better highway fuel economy.

The guy that works a a garage where I buy some fuel bought a beat Ramcharger for $50 and is parting it out.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Talk about parting out cars. My friend bought an older Malibu for $50. So far he has sold the rear for $150 and the instument panel for $650!

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You got lucky Lawrence. Most of the 2 stroke (4 stroke also)stuff at Lesco Home Depot etc that is used has been run without oil, seized up, returned, freed up by the stockboy and put back up for sale.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mister stone--I have done the taller tire thing.

you'll find that you will use more gas, not less. you will also loose power.

good luck in your research.

GEO

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

It just seems like you use more fuel because your speedo and odo are now running slower. And the power loss is because you have lowered numerically the final-drive ratio. For a highway ride you may not mind, but if you spend your day putting down narrow lanes chasing down scrubs then the slant 6 may seem more anemic than usual.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

nope, bill. you actually use more gas. the loss of power causes the foot to actually push harder on the gas pedal.

if a taller tire was the solution to gas mileage, we'd all be pulling our 30 inch swath murrays with home depot bolt together trailers behind monster trucks.

let's consider the case of the young off road enthusiast and the day he traded his factory 235 X 15s for those gumbo wide mudders. sound familiar, bill? if not, perhaps someone here will help us out.;)

you got rain? plenty here for the first time in 10 weeks.

GEO