1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I messed up big time.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Qreative, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Qreative

Qreative LawnSite Member

Ok, I haven't been doing this hedge trimming very long. But I really messed up big time.

I was trimming a decent size lawn, and after two hours the weather was looking like it would rain. I hurried and I accidently broke off part of the bush I was trimming. I notified the owner to show i was honest, and she wasn't happy but was glad I told her. Then she actually saw what I did and then said she wasn't going to pay me a cent. and just kept yelling at me, I almost cried cause I couldn't help it.

I did all that work and only made one rookie mistake. I feel like I should not have told her cause I didn't get payed and I feel like I am worthless.

What do I do next time if something like that happens?
  2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You did the right thing. Did you finish the job? I would have told her no need to keep yelling at me, i made a mistake and would finish the job for free. However, if she kept yelling at me, i would have just left.
  3. K&A Lawncare

K&A Lawncare LawnSite Member

Be honest. I would much rather have someone tell me they screwed up and except the wrath, rather than lie about it and pretend it didn't happen. Honesty goes a long way with me.
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I would have told her, if she kept yelling, I would have simply said Sorry, smiled and said have a nice week see you next thursday.
  5. Qreative

Qreative LawnSite Member

Yeah, I said I would try to fix it. But her voice kept getting higher, like she was going to explode. She wanted me off her property. I didn't really know what to do, it was one my first three projects.
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I will not stand for anyone yelling at me. I would have packed up and left, leaving the mess for her. Now had she been reasonable, anger is understandable....I would have cleaned up and finished if she wanted me too. Luckly I have never been in this situation...

Remember you can't control others actions, only your own.....
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, you're not worthless. I hope you've figured that out by now.
    Don't let anyone have control of your self image.
    Her yelling like that is immaturity on her part or quite possibly a touch of mental illness. You're going to have to let your skin get thicker because people can be cruel and your response is the most important thing.
    Now, that being said. I would have popped that bi@#&%ch in the mouth!
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I know you feel bad, and this isn't to berate you further and you did right by being honest with her and you are not worthless......but maybe also you shouldn't advertise a service that you have no real experince doing and you esp shouldn't have a pic on your www site of you standing in front of a very detailed hedge job making people think you did it........
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

2 words of wisdom for you--Duct Tape :laugh:

I hit a huge tree limb one time with the Rops on my Kubota. I grabbed that tree limb and took it down the road and put it on somebody elses pile for the city to pick up. Umbrella type tree and nobody ever got under there to see the mishap.
    PS: Bring along some paint
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Charles, I had to laugh. I've done the very same thing!