I met another LCO today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I just finished delivering papers not too long ago, and ended up riding with a local lawn guy today, he delivers papers also and he was teaching me his run so i'm familiar with it. He's just starting in the business and he's handing out flyers in the next few days in areas where I have several customers. Being the new not so experienced guy that he is, he asked me several questions about my business and what equipment I use, how I run it, etc. So then he asks how much I charge on an average lawn. HA! Like I'm gonna tell him what I charge. He's targeting areas that I run business. The last thing I want is him running around charging less. Being the friendly guy that I am, and knowing that i'll be seeing this guy a lot in the future, I simply told him I don't drop the gate for less than $40 a lawn. This area has a lot of 1/4 acre or less resi's, starting at $25+. I hope he charges too much. I have 18 returning customers in this particular area so far, and in a couple hours i'll be handing out flyers so people get mine before they get his. Am I mean or what?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I would charge enough so that I did not have to get a job delivering papers.

Tell him the same thing.

You lied to him-where will that lead?

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I get to drive around and make 40 bucks an hour... pays more than radio shack did, and keeps me busy so i'm not bored out of my mind over the winter. What would you do in this situation? Simply not tell him anything?

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Explain overhead and profit margin. Tell him that his equipment has to be payed for by the income that it generates. Explain insurance and Taxes. Tell him to be sure to pay himself for the work he does.
    Now tell him to go home and add it all up and charge what he needs to, to keep a business profitable.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now THERE is an answer.