i might actually try this this year

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grass disaster, Feb 6, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i'm thinking of going early in the year and walking around town and put flyer's on doors.

i think about this every year but never seem to get around to it... no one seems to advertise with door hangers in my area. we get some church stuff on the door about once or twice a year but that's about it.

here is the plan.......

1...1/2 sheet flyer
    1....door hanger plastic bag
    1...magnetic business card

on on side of the paper something like..." Are you tires of mowing you lawn every week? call me for a free estimate on taking care of your yard" then list some services. on the back side i will put "Please save this magnetic card for future reference"

is this a good idea ? should i change my thinking? anything i'm forgetting?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I know you just typed it here quickly, but you'll need to spell check, then double check to make sure everything is right.

tires = tired
    you = your

the magnetic card idea is a good one. Some people will save it and put it on their frig. Especially elderly folks.
  3. grass disaster

i'm trying to get people to retain something they can look back at to get a hold of me.

my company name is not in the phone book. i've had people say before that they couldn't find my phone # even though i run a small weekly block in the local paper. i guess some people just never look in the paper.....or can't remember my name or company name...now if they had a magnet hanging on their refrig i think they might remember that it's on there.
  4. grass disaster

anyone else put a magnet in the door hanger bag with a flyer??

what are your thoughts?
  5. takeittothelimit

takeittothelimit LawnSite Member

sounds like a great idea, just exspensive maybe, i mean a bag magnet and flyer. It does sound like a good idea
  6. grass disaster

i live in a small town so i don't think it would be too expensive. i think 1000 of these would pretty much cover the town. so total cost around $300 + a couple saturdays.
  7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

First, did the church flier get you to church?

Second, why not save yourself some time and give the estimate on the flier? Something right on the flier like, " Here's a free estimate for basic service including cut, trim, blow, (whatever) .. Maybe put a * and something like .. *estimate based on view from the front and a guesstimate of your property line.

If they call and you find out the back yard is an acre, well it was just an estimate, adjust the price.
  8. grass disaster

i don't want to dink around with prices on them.

i like to meet the people and feel them out before i give the estimate.
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

It's a good idea, but 1000 door hangers will take you more than a couple of Saturdays. I can do 65 houses an hour in an area that has an average property size of 6 or 7k including the house. That is without skipping some houses that I just don't want to touch. Figure one minute per house. Larger average property sizes will obviously take even more time.

Giving an estimate is a very bad idea IMO. You want to talk to the customer, talk about their landscape, how you can improve it, mention a problem area and talk about what you might do with it. I try to walk the property with every customer I quote. That's when I can show him how my expertise translates to better value for his money.

I don't knock on doors. If they are happy doing their own maintenance, or are happy with their LCO, no point in being a pest. Just leaving a well designed door hanger is fine.

As for the person who asked if you went to church after getting a door hanger from them.... that is a laughable comparison. Jewish people don't need churches, nor do atheists. However, a clothing drive by a church.... yeah, I have responded to some of those. Dopey comparison. Everyone cuts their lawn.
  10. grass disaster

i'm thinking i should do these during the week, like from 10am to 1pm. i think there will be fewer people looking out their window wondering who the hell i am walking around.