I might be leaving the business scene slowly need advice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by soloscaperman, Nov 9, 2012.

1. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Me EITHER!

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever taken the time to seriously evaluate what you want to do with your life? You seem very conflicted and indecisive. Maybe the stability of a regular job is what you need right now. Sometimes you have to start over and reinvent yourself. Your still young, self employment will always be there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Working nights 11p to 7a and for the man, no thanks...

4. aka lawn

aka lawn LawnSite Member

I have worked nights for over twelve years. Was great for the first eleven years. Now i hate it. Make more then what they are offering you per hour. But after all the years of nights it has got me burnt out. Started my business this past spring in order to tell the man what he can do with the job. That is something to think about

5. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

If you work long hrs for somebody your bound to thier rules. If you want to work long hrs for your self you can always get something to eat or quit when you want to. I have 20 years of factory work. I can't punch another time clock. I can make more money by myself.

6. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

Bingo. That would be close to impossible for me at this point.

7. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you just need to advertise, advertise, advertise, if you really aren't making enough money and bills are piling up, then maybe dropping the snow plowing is what you need to do. But I got 10 new accounts in the past 30 days for plowing, maybe even 15 i haven't actually added them all to the list yet. and Its anything but beer money. Even last year my first year advertising I had 22 snow plowing accounts and was averaging 130-140hr and I would plow for about 10hrs with a small storm up to 6" I average about 3 driveways per hour and they pay well. well enough to not care about the 8 or 9mpg i'm getting in my f350 diesel with my new tires that i paid 1350 for that will be worn out by next december. the first few years can be tight. I have all kinds of low ballers in my area, new ones popping up every day. lots of illegal mexican workers trying to steal my work, but the truth is alot of people around here will only hire other white people, and they pay extra for some one who speaks english. Especially a hard working younger person like me. and with a setup like mine, they know i'm serious.

[​IMG]

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Raise your plowing prices until it makes the work more attractive to you. Plowing customers are a dime-a-dozen. With some strong pricing and a tight route, you can make good money on your own terms. For example, here are my plowing terms:

- No plowing until the storm ends.
    - No guarantee that we will have you plowed out by any particular time of day.
    - No shoveling
    - No clearing mailboxes
    - No free spring repairs on plow damage
    - Charge for staking
    - Whiners get cancelled

Being tough on terms means that many customer will not hire you, that is the trade off. It takes longer to build a route, more advertising is required. Keep it local, don't drive more than a few minutes, it isn't worth it, and service suffers. It took a few years, but I do pretty well money-wise, and I can do my route alone in 4 hours.

Another idea is to just hire a guy to plow for you. I hired a retired guy to plow last year. He was pumped to make $20/hr using my truck. There are lots of experienced people out there that want to work.

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

You can't make plowing attractive, I've tried many many times. I agree with Grandview, dump the plowing, take the night job and do lawns in your free time. Plowing IMHO is something to do in the winter, and a money pit. If I could get away with it I'd dump all plowing accounts and break even sitting on the couch.

10. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

It seems to me like your straddling a couple fences. What does your heart tell you to do. Make up your mind and put all your energy into that decision. If you want to mow grass only then find a way to make it happen. There are parts of every business that I don't like to do. Working a hand truck on a dock all night loading beer doesn't really appeal to me either. But I would do it if I needed to.