I mow lawns, lawn jockey etc.. what do u do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Oct 19, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious what you guys here that either just mow or mainly mow tell people you do?

2. robby

robby LawnSite Member

80% of my work is mowing. I have no problem telling people that I mow for a living. Usually i tell them i'm self employed in the landscaping biz. My wife on the otherhand, finds it "embarrassing" to tell other people what I do for a living. For some crazy reason, she thinks its not as much about how much you make, but that you're a white collar and not a blue collar worker. I'd prefer making 50 an hour, coming home dirty, than making 20 an hour and coming home smelling like roses.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I tell them I own a company that cut's a whole bunch of grass. And in the winter, we plow a whole bunch of snow. Simple.

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

5 to 6 days a week i wear a company shirt so everyone that passes me knows what i do .i aint got no shame in my game.i make just as much as some of the uppety type .and dont care if they turn their nose up at me.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

robby, tell your wife this. One of lawnsite's members was at one time the Director of Training for Hertz for many, many years. And now, he owns a very nice lawn care op and makes a whole lot more $$$ then when he was in the corporate world.

BTW, that person is your's truly...

6. Thirsty

Thirsty LawnSite Member

I am a fuel hauler for a small trucking company. I only work about 3 days a week on weekends and Mon.. Although I almost get 40 hrs in those three days.

I will spend the winter aquiring equipment to start in the biz next spring.

Now with both kids in school during the day I am finding myself with freetime and I love to mow.

I would be proud to be a Lawn sevice provider.....I dont necessarily need the money to pay bills ..I want to do it because I love it.:)

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Tell them you make tall grass short.

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Im self employed, Im a landscaper, I dont care what anyone thinks, so people drive trucks, sit behind desks, I happen to cut grass and plant. Its good money, there are some people in the business that make us look bad and put us in that category of crappy jobs but I'm happy with what I do, I enjoy the work, and im not embarassed about it, I got lots of money in my pocket so...

Jeff

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I say I own a landscaping business. Or sometimes, I just say
    'landscaper'. I'm proud of what I do, I don't feel I have to make excuses or pretend to be something I'm not. More to the point, I don't care what people think of me. I bought my first house at 27 and my second one at 30, I laugh at the people my age who look down their noses at me, while they are still living with their parents or in a one bedroom apartment.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i say i mainly sit on my @$$ all day and tan. sometimes i'll go for a drive around town or a brief jog. sometimes i'll do a little weight lifting. oh, rather me pay a gym to do this, i get paid more in a month than most do in a year to enjoy the outdoors, exersise, tan, and sometimes sit back on the mower and relax. :p