I must be Crazy!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indysfinestlawnservice, May 20, 2008.

1. Indysfinestlawnservice

Indysfinestlawnservice LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

:nono::nono:I went on a bid today and walked a commercial Property with a lady who is wanting an estimate on thier HOA common areas..She proceeds to tell me that they have paid as much as 215 per mow and are now paying 155 per mow.The guy now just mows and does not trim..I can understand why its only 155 when your just running over it with a mower as fast as you can....Now I have to bid on this 7.16 acre property ..when they have been paying such low prices for crap work...I can't believe people do such shaddy jobs and get paid for it>>!!

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow what a joke.
    I can not believe that these cheap people take all the low prices and then want a real lco to bid the job. The problem will be when you give your price for quality work. They have been educated by lowballers doing shoddy work to think this price is the norm. They will freak when they see the real price for quality.
    Don't spend a long time doing the bid and give it your best shot.

3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

$155 for 7+ acres? That would have been my clue to leave immediately and not look back. What a F ing joke.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

$155 for 7 acres??? $30 an acre??.. whoa, what a waste of time.

bid as usual, walk away, and kiss it goodbye.

5. Indysfinestlawnservice

Indysfinestlawnservice LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am bidding 495 per mow....they can have it if they want it ...if not Ill drive on..

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Man, thats some sweet money, how much would you actually pocket and be able to spend tho? Would that be cut weekly?

7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I know the feeling. I bid a HOA last year. Last lco not doing a great job. They want the whole subdivision mowed (9 nice big duplexes) they want bushes trimmed, walks edged, this and that.The last guys not doing everything. Think I bid around 15000. Whoa thats 5000 more than the last guy, can't you come down, we REALLY WANT YOU because you are going to do the extras but we can't pay that price. :cry: Sorry lady I ain't working for free. Guess they kept their old guy cause the place still looks the same.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What I can't believe is the HOA's expect quality work at those prices.
    Apparently HOA's then expect a one man show to deal with 1-200+ members, too.

Or is it the HOA's call the small guy despite or because of this knowledge?
    Hmmm ...
    Maybe it is inexperience.
    Now one might think, after so many years, so much trial and error...
    It never ceases to amaze me, either. :p

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Same thing happened to me today. I bid $125.00 a month to mow(3x a month), fertilize, apply weed control to lawn/beds, lay pine straw, and trim hedges 6 times per year for an HOA with one small entrance only. What do I get? "Oh, sorry. You're way too expensive. Our current guy tends to the grounds for half that. Bye." PITA!!

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

why are you even wasting your time. you said before that 215 is the highest they ever paid.