I must be missing something this year!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grandview (2006), Apr 4, 2012.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Were having an early spring this year. March was very warn and no snow. Over the last 2 weeks guys have been putting down mulch and trimming shrubs and bushes that are dormant.Most of it won't be ready to trim for another month or so. By then the mulch will be browned out and dry and the bushes will be over grown with new growth. Everyone is in a big hurry this year.

2. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

All my friends and neighbors are doing similar stuff. Funny part is they'll ask me when they should do it and the look on their face when I say May/June is like I told them they just went bankrupt. Funny thing is that since the temperature has dropped again no one is getting as antsy I bet. Now the lawns are rediculous, mine needed cutting last week and it was MARCH!! The other thing I tell some people is that the maples will drop those ugly seed pods into your mulch creating a messy apperance and tons of little maples sprouting up.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya, same thing hear everyone wants everything yesterday
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grandview (2006)

Chance of wet snow next week.I guess the snow will protect the mulch from drying out.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I been mulching like a fool. Im happy to get an early start on it.

6. grandview (2006)

At least your State looks like its alive right now. Everything here is dormant

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

lol yea CT is popping to life right now. I have also been cutting a few lawns, the grass is growing fast.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Crabgrass apps went down really early this year.

My first semi-load of mulch is almost gone! As for the mulch, most clients are holding off a while to get the most out of the look of it for the entire season, but the ones we've done is due more for weed suppression.

As for weeds! I've never sprayed this much round-up early in the season.

Lawn herbicide apps will start next week.

But..... I do have clients with gardens and annual flowers that I keep telling them to hold off on. Last night we got a hard frost/freeze and I hope they are happy I've been pushing for them to wait.

Basically we've been sitting on our hands on install stuff and trying not to pull the trigger on them too early.

Overall though, we had the best month of March Ever!

9. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

On our 3rd cut, no snow, you bet were in a hurry. It's been hard to get it going with no snow $$$$$. I know grandview is loving those seasonals

10. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So a potential 6-10" of snow or 2"+ of rain for tonight into Tuesday. Good thing all those mulch jobs are being done around here so they can wash out. People need to get a grip around here. It was in the 70's for one early week in March and everyone wanted this stuff done. Now it's going get slammed by this.
    Posted via Mobile Device