I must have a target on my back this year!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 10, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I've always got along with just about everyone in this field in my area that I see or talk to. I've always just kept my head down and plugged away not stepping on any toes. This year, so far I've lost three accounts, two of them to the same company. These were people we mowed for at least the past 3 years with ZERO problems. One thing that gets me is the company who took 2 of my places is a bigger company, who through the grapevine is noted for MEGA lowballing and now I beleive it! He took a commercial property that isn't very big (probably took me and a helper 15-20 min) and is charging....are you sitting down, 10 BUCKS! I was getting 25 for it. I told the owner no way and he "swears to God" thats it. All I can say is why even bother charging them at all?:hammerhead:

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

holy crap! 10 ? how can you make something if you have gas at $4 and have to pay workers damn

3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

The promise of more work always gets these guys! He'll get thrown another bone and do it for $11.00! This industry is all about gone. You have to be lucky to land dependable loyal accounts now a days. if you just look at the way corp America works where you can be laid off via email....what's one to expect?

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Do you really think someone is mowing a commercial lot for 10 bucks???? Somthing doesnt add up here because a ******** mexican would not even charge 10 bucks...

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I hear ya. This company I guess mows across the street, but its a busy 4 lane hiway so theres no "just crossing over with a mower". He sounded legit when he said 10 bucks, He even told me what the color of the trucks were etc. and its that same company. I've never seen this company bag a blade of grass and he likes it bagged weekly and we mowed an additional 20x60 area for parking for the same price plus the usual trimming. I bet there's no bagging and extra for the 20x60 parking area.

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Im starting to think that some customers just dont give a flying F about how they treat people like us. For someone like yourself to do quality work for a customer for several years and then they just up and leave is BS. Every business is out there to make profit and I totally understand that but it takes some balls to change companies over $15. Especially when the price was only $25 to begin with.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I lost 2 strip malls, $800 and $900 per month, respectively this year, over $20 per month each. I'd been doing them for 10+ years.

You'd think that if there were problems, I wouldn't have been doing them for 10+ years.

It's a weird year this year.

You've got LCO's bidding at 2002 prices, and you've got customers and clients micro-managing their receivables and payables.

It's just flat out an odd combination.

8. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

either you will get it back or the customer will feel bad and give it to someone else for $25 .00.Because the guy doing it for $10 will be out of the game. Or realize he's not making anything and try to push him back up

9. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

Can you say Recession

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Theres a local guy here that I can't figure out. Another person on lawnsite gets to see this guys prices more than me (chime in alan!). He'll mow yards for 10-15 bucks, I actually gave a price to a residential, it was about 10,000 sq ft with normal trimming in a nice neighborhood, my price, $29, this other guys price $12.

He's been doing this for years, i've been in business for 3 going on 4 years and I've always seen his trucks, I'm not sure how he sticks it out. The only time i didn't see his trucks was for a couple months after he got busted for no workers comp after a worker of his filed for it.