1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I must have savvy customers...Pay Pal questions.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by clippers, Feb 1, 2007.

1. clippers

clippers LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

Anyone who has an opinion, feel free to repsond. I am a member of another Lawn Forum, but when I posted this question over there, I got the impreesion that many of their customers were not interested in paying any other way but "check's in the mail".

I am located in a Northern Suburb of Atlanta, where there are a lot of "upwardly mobile" people. All trying to keep up with the Jones', so to speak. So they are mostly computer literate. I send several invoices via internet

I have had plenty of customers ask me about paying online, or some other quick option. One lady wanted to know if she gave me her bank account #, couldn't I just take the $$ out of her account! Well, I had never really heard of that option. I have some customers put me in at their bank to send me a check right from thier bank. That works fine, but some want to just pay online.

I have already decided to go ahead and do this. I am aware of the fees, etc. I already have by database, invoices, billing on a software program, so I am not willing to purchase Quick Books, or GroundsPro.

My question is, if you do use Pay Pal, how does your checkout cart look? Pay Pal looks like it is set up for "products" not services. Like, I don't want my customers to have to click on "Large Mow" and add it to thier shopping cart, then checkout. Maybe they have a one time payment option.

If you use paypal, or if you have any thoughts, please pass them on.

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

3. clippers

clippers LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

See, that's exactly what I'm talikng about!

The way you word that whole thing is great. So, they just put in whatever they were invoiced. I thought it had to be a whole shopping cart thing. I like it. It gives my customers that want it, another option.

We'll try it this year and see how it goes. The people that I send an email invoice to, it seems silly that they use snail mail to get my money back to me. Plus we do rental properties, where the owner is out of state. They don't have to use it, but this is what they've been asking for.

Thanks for the help.

Paul's Wife & Office Manager

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Anything that makes getting paid easier and faster is worth it to me...if your customers are asking, see what you do for them. Personally I've found taking credit cards is great.

You can automatically take money out a client's bank account, it's called autodraft or autopay. Your bank should be able to set you up with this if you're interested.