1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i must have you, price dont matter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 13, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, a little positive input by me. i have two lawns, side by side, one very sunny, the other very shady. both have bad, bad soil. all the other lawns in the development look bad, real bad. same soil type, and they just cant get the lawns to look good. well, its my 3rd year at these properties, and they look sweet, i mean, real good. niether has sprinkler system either. this spring, 2 neighbors came over, and inquired about service. i gave them prices. no bite. today, they came over . "well, we thought u were too high, so we hired someone else. as u can see, our places look terrible. over the last several years weve been through quite a few services, and no one can get our place in shape, if you are still available, we would love to have you." thats just what i needed. there is another $400 a month. good work pays off. but let me tell you, these lawns that now look real nice, would never have gotton that way from no scotts 4 step, or chemlawn. it took every thing i knew, and alot of work to get them this way, and the customers helped also, by doing thier part, which was basically trusting me, and paying for whatever i suggested that they needed. whoever said, "your work, your best advertisement." wasnt lying
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That's good to hear Bobby..................now in that small corner of the world your appreciated..............;)

We have taken on 3-5 new accounts a month since April. It is all like what you just experienced.......:cool:
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Good work man. I always tell my guys, "treat any house yu do like your own". It always pays off in the end. :cool:
  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, as I see it, If youre gettin paid by the hour (not the job) then the longer you stay, the more monies you make! so, you can make it look REAL good and make people happy (ok, maybe not with price, but ask them if they want a hayfield or not!).
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good job!!! What are you getting, about $20 per K to treat those?? $10 per k for mowing???
  6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

same here......we started with one propery.....and made the lawn lush....we now do 7 of them on the same street. They just want to keep up with the Jones's.:D
  7. bobbygedd

from NJ

actually, ej, we get paid differently, depending on what kind of treatment we apply. as far as mowing, for these houses, we get about $10 per k. why do u ask?
  8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Great job. That kicks bottom. I had a similar thing happen when I turned about 3K of barren ground into a nice stand of fescue this year for a lady..........she did her part too, kept it watered even though no irrigation. Her daughter wants me over to her place next to install (grass that is).
  9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just find it hard to believe you are getting that kind of money, that's all. If I charged half of what your getting I'd be the highest priced guy in town.
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

really? do you think im overpriced? or do you just think im lying? since its 7:30 in the morning, and we are not scheduled to leave for 1-1.5 hrs, ill pull the files on both those properties i described above. #1= 3,735 sq ft of turf. fert program=$390.80. mowing=$38 per week, which includes a quick blow of the beds every week. property #2=5800 sq ft. fert program =$567.20. mowing =$32 per week. fall cleanup on both properties =$425ea. this is for the whole month of november, as well as 1or2 trips in december. these are both very tough properties. man, if u r charging half what im charging, u r goin broke. you cant make it up in volume, the human body just cant take that kind of abuse.