1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I need 100 new accounts by August

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lsylvain, Apr 19, 2007.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have $10,000 to spend on marketing. What would you do?

2. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Targeted newspaper ads. Direct mail to targeted areas. Realestate company advertising. Hire a kid to pass out 3000 flyers and you still have $$ left over to pay off the reason you need 100 accounts.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was going to say good luck with that.... but being in Fla. you might stand a better chance than you would around here. In my area it takes guys years to acheive that many customers.

4. lsylvain

Well I'll tell you why I need 100 accounts. I have been hum hawing about getting back into the biz for about a year or so. Wife is pregnant so that kind of got me into gear to get back into this, not so much for the money but for the ability to work my schedual around my wife who works nights so we don't have to pay 40 billion a year for child care. Well I go out and get things going, and then it dons on me. Right now I work till 5:00 go home and go mow, then mow on the Weekends. Well, that will all have to end when the baby comes because I will be playing daddy daycare. So, I either need to get 100 new jobs before the baby comes so I can quit my day job, or just get out now and save the agrivation.

If I don't reach my 100 goal I can always get a part timmer and all that, but the goal is 100 new customers by August and give my boss the middle finger.

5. lsylvain

Here is what I have thought about.

I have a target market of about 10,000 homes. These are the optimal homes and these are homes that are between my house and the beach, I am ignoring any oportunity each of my house because I want to keep things tight and cut down my drive time which goes to hell if I go east of my house.

I am thinking of blasting them with a postcards. Thats gonna cost about 4,500 for a one time mailing.
    I have every real estate agents email address in 2 counties about 5000 so I'm going to hit them up with an email offering my services, but on top of that I plan on offering them co-op advertizing for their listings if they want to run any adds or send out postcards or whatever, I will split the cost with them. This cost nothing for the email and then whatever I generate in agents.
    I am going to try and get all the addresses of the owners of all the homes for sale in the area and send them a letter, thats about another 2000 or so and $1000 cost.

So depending on the respons from the real esate agents my 10 grand is spent. Think I could get 100 acounts from that. That comes down to 1/2 of a percent return before you include any advert done with real estate agents.

I am also going to try to sell agents and home sellers on paying for a years worth of service if someone buys their house. I give them a big discount because they will be paying up front at closing for the entire year for the buyer, and they will of course have a sign in their yard the displays the free lawn service if they buy they house, and the agent would put this in the MLS system as well, so I am gaining free advert on top of the client.

Is it possible?

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

For a large company with a proven reputation in the marketplace, YES.
    For a startup solo operation, NO.

If you land even half that number in your first season then you've had a GREAT year.

7. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I'd agree with the above responce, i hope you can do it though. The first responce seemed pretty good.

8. lsylvain

Right, down here I have no Rep. Back home, no problem, well back home I would only need about 20 accounts to live high on the hog but that is a different story all together. I do have to wonder around here how much your Rep really means though I don't have a phone book handy but there must be well over 300 companies, but I have noticed one thing. They are all gunning for the high dollar Island properties and the big new developments out east, but they are ignoring the inbetween and they don't advertize. I have 2 neighhbors that get their grass done, and not once has either one of them tried to advert to me. No hangers to mailers, nothing.

I can live with 50 and get a part time job. Any less than that though and I'm kind of up a creek. I could hire someone to do them for me. It also isn't the best time of year to be doing this I know.

Another marketing stategy would be to also target the homes that just sold. Between the two counties that is around 700 a month.

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Wells 100%. Trying to land 100 customers within 4 months is a very big goal and even if you had 20-30 thousand to spend on advertising it would be hard to land that many so quickly unless you buy 100 yards from someone selling them and you will spend more then 20-30 grand for them. All I can say is good luck

10. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Not to mention estimating at least 200 clients just to get the 100 accounts. Where would that time come from?