I need a 21" mower, which one?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Feb 11, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a ZTR as my main mower. The push mower will be for back yards or small yards. Not very many people have small gates so the push mower is rarely needed. I dont need self propelled. Should I pay the $169.00 for the yard machine at home depot? It has a mulch kit and bag. Whats the rep on the yard machine engines? Better than briggs?

2. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

I noticed those the other day. I think they look like a Honda engine??

3. stevenf

All it said on the engine was Yard Machine. I wouldnt find anything else. It seems like a good deal. Im sick of buying/finding old push mowers and just waiting for them to die. I think this one would last me if I took care of it with very minimum use.

4. stevenf

Says its an MTD engine. Whats yalls experience with them?

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If you are hardly ever going to use the 21" - you can go cheap, but if you plan on any consistent weekly use over an hour or two, step up to something like the Toro S/R (what I use). The Personal Pace drive system will really save your back and legs over a simple pusher. I'll agree, not as good as Toro Proline but at $700 cheaper I can go through two S/R's vs one Proline and still come out ahead. My two cents...

6. stevenf

Quick question, Are engines universal? I have a Toro pacemaker that is self propelled but cant get it to fun for the life of me!
    I know someone with a pushmower that has a briggs engine on it, the self propelled went out so he parked it. With this just bolt in place of the toro's briggs engine?

7. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The engines probably will interchange. Just unbolt each of them and see if the holes match up. Since they are both Briggs engines, they will probably have very similar bolt hole patterns, if they aren't the same engine.
    As for the original question, I would trust a cheap push mower for occasional use. I have a Lawn-Boy that is really a residential mower, but I got the Cub Cadet to use in place of it on yards that are too small for the Ferris. The Cub isn't really commercial either, but it should last as long as a commercial 21", and cut 12" more at the same time.
    If you lived near me, I would suggest going to the local Lowes. I was in there today buying some materials and saw a Husqvarna self-propelled rear wheel drive mower, 6.5 hp Briggs, marked down from $284 to $200. If I didn't have the Cub Cadet, I probably would have bought the Husq as a backup for the Lawn-Boy, or vise-versa, depending on which one I liked better.

8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use my push my mowers for trim work and I am very hard on them. I would never spend alot for a pushmower as the cost doesnot justify it. My 32" can get to all of my small yards. Now if all you have is small yards and it gets a lot of use then you have to go commercial. I have a Craftsman (6HP Briggs) and it has held up to my abuse for over 5 years. I did by a used Honda with bagger off of a bigger lawncare company last week for 75$ (500$ new). Runs and cuts great. I would say get the yard machine, it should hold up for occaisonal use.

9. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Thanks for making this thread, I was actully going to make the same thing tonight until I saw this.

That seems like a good deal and I am in the same boat, wont be using the 21 inch much so 169 seems like a pretty good deal even if it lasts for 6 months. Is it on sale? Thanks

Sean

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see now . . . $169 last maybe 6 months or maybe even a year or you could spend around $530 or so on a Toro Personnel Pace "Super Recycler" 3 in 1 and It will last you well over 10 years maybe 15+ with some TLC and is not a PITA to use like crummy low end mowers. A family member of mine has this exact same mower and it's a breeze to use and mulches very well.

10 years of crummy mowers @ $169 = $1690 ;)
    10 years of Toro Super Recycler @ $530 = $530 :rolleyes:

http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/superrecycler/20055.html

"the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten" :hammerhead: