I need a better insurance carrier, mine too expensive

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by clydesdale, Oct 22, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

They want to charge me 870/yr for 1 million in coverage and covering my equipment with a 500 deductible. I thought i heard guys on here paying in the 350-500/yr zone. Can you give me a company, or even a name and number? Thanks
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

there is a name of a commercial company that operates only in certain states. Michigan isn't one of them. Many people on here go through them...I think they are available in NY.
    Oh, it just came to me...Look up Erie Insurance. I sure hope this helps!
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My coverage is with the local office of the Erie Group, but to judge from some of the comments I've seen here on Lawnsite, a lot of the rate you'll see in any given state is determined by that state's laws on liability and legal actionability. Someone operating in Texas (I think, am not sure, that it was DFW Landscaper) said he's getting gouged for liability insurance, and one of the responses was that the laws in Tejas are rather lawyer-friendly.

Your rates might be a reflection of what's going on in Michigan, but a little shopping around never hurt.
  4. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

OK i LOOKed up erie and they are available in NY. Anybody use this company. How much liability did you get and for how much? How about equipment coverage? Deductible? Thanks
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Try American Family. I pay 500 for 2 mil lia 4 mil agg. My equiptment is another 200 a year but it all depends on how much you value your equipt at. I value mine at 20000. trailer is through vehicle ins and is 25 a year.
  6. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Mine runs about 1250 per year in Michigan, for 1M and covers snowplowing as well, and 25000 in equipment. The commercial truck insurance is another 1600 appx....
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

How the heck do you folks get such cheap insurance? Mine in 375 per year for a lousy 300k and NONE on my equipment! It took me over 6 months to even find a company that would insure me and not one would insure my equipment. I give up ever finding a company that would insure my equipment and over 80% of the companies I called never called me back.
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 1mil/2mil ag. plus equitment coverage for about $400.00/year. Its through a company called Acuity.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Wish I could have a mil/2 mil agg. Most of my commercial want 2 mil/ 4 mil ag. it would drop my price to 450 including equipt at 20000. I had a couple of companies quote me well over a grand every 6 months???? Why is there such a difference? I realize deductibles are a difference but not no 12-14 hundred a year. All I can say is pull out the yellow pages and start dialing.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is you truck insurance for 1 or two trucks?