I need a break....

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Dec 15, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

This past week has kicked my butt!!! I've plowed every day this week. Three storms, one of which dropped about 15-inches on us. Now, it's sleeting. It's gonna turn into snow. About 3-inches.

My feet are cold, my hands are turning black from my steering wheel, got stuck a couple times (one of which took a 1-ton ext. cab dually THREE TRIES to get me out), I havn't slept more than 13-hours all week, I almost ended up driving into the swamp by my work (pile of snow moved a LOT easier than I thought it would), and I have a feeling my truck is out in my driveway telling me to go F*** myself.... you gotta love plowing.

Mike;

I heard a rumor that there's a storm brewing that could dump another 2-feet on us. I'm not happy about that. We finally finished digging out Motorwerks today. Chaos... absolute chaos.

2. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you there. I am in Mid Michigan and all of that stuff left you and came to us. The only thing is that two of our four trucks were repeatedly getting stuck. Probably 5 time each during the week. My neck and back are bothering me now. Time to go on vacation for a week. But the weather looks grim for that. I guess I'll just wait for spring.

HAPPY PLOWING

3. SlimJim Z71

We were moving piles of snow back as far as possible due to lack of space to pile snow, so we'd ram them. Once our front tires got over the curb, we were stuck. I had to get pulled out 3-times, and I had to pull out our other truck twice. Boy, I tell ya what though, my 1/2-ton was movin a lot of snow. I was proud.

-Tim

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

The next snow over 4" we will have the excavation company going nuts over snow removal. We have more than maxed out our lots snow areas. We lost a lot of parking spaces in places that didn't have enough as it was. I have never moved so much snow. We tried to hit everything once before we had 6" but it came down so fast we couldn't keep up.

5. SlimJim Z71

I know that feeling all too well...

-Tim[​IMG]

6. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

And who wanted SNOW???? hehehe!!!

7. SlimJim Z71

Yeah, I admit, I did... BUT NOT ALL AT ONE FREAKIN TIME!!!

Illinois averages about 35-40 inches of snow per year. We've already had around 25!!! And I know the rest of the winter is not going to be very forgiving...

-Tim

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Tim,ive been plowing a few years,and what your doing ramming piles back with your truck is not the smartest thing to do.Rent a loader and do a top notch job,the truck isnt meant to do that and if the pile gives easy you might get your truck 's frame hung up on the drop offs.I used to ram piles back too,i got smart after a few trannys in the old suburban,bent 2 meyers plows right over backwards moving piles.Tore the crossmember off one truck when it went off the lot and into the drainage ditch.I make sure in all my contracts that a loader will be used,the cost and that i use it as needed at my descretion.Hows your neck holding up?Be careful what you wish for you might get it.Send me some snow,if you dont want it all.

9. SlimJim Z71

John,

I know hitting the piles that hard isn't smart... don't worry though, I talked to my boss at work, and he said that they will cover anything that breaks. I wasn't hitting the solid ones, only the ones I knew I could push back a little more. I've tried telling them that they need to get a loader and a dump truck in there, but they're gonna wait till the last minute. Smart. As for my neck, it hurts like heck, but that comes with the job right? I'm gonna call UPS right now and overnight you the storm that coming, so get the trucks ready.

-Tim

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Tim,ill pay extra for the same day Air on the snow,hurry,trucks are all ready.Why should the dealer bring in a loader now?Since your ramming piles,he's saving tons of money-now that he knows you'll beat the crap out of your truck,they'll want you to do it every time.This is how it happens to me,id ram piles,crack the plow frame and then it would break in the middle of the night somewhere ele-think they are going to pay now?where you going to get a truck to finish plow at 3am?,think they care?Its your truck,if you dont draw the line on abusing it,it will,usually at the worst time.Time for a backup truck-.How is the sno-way plow holding up so far?How bout the 2stage spreader,try sand in it yet?