I need a business coach!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by APLUS LAWN CARE, Jul 19, 2013.

1. APLUS LAWN CARE

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it! I am going to raise my minimum price, that will help me out. I guess I should have done more research. I wasn't trying to cut myself short when I was bidding. I didn't bid low because I thought my work was subpar. I bid at the prices I bid at because I wanted to be competitive, but honestly, I don't know what other companies are charging around this area. Again, thanks for the advice.

2. APLUS LAWN CARE

Yes, I think everyone needs a pick-me-up from time to time. It is easy to get discouraged in this type of business. You make a very good point about it being time to reevaluate our companies. It is a good time to take a step back, recognize the mistakes that have been made thus far, change them, and finish the season strong.

3. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Have you taken a look at your expenses to see where you could save? Every little thing adds up. I revisit all insurance policies very frequently. This year we switched providers and saved hundreds of dollars. If you were able to do that in a few areas, along with working on your bids, you may be able to bring yourself into the black. Also, are your advertising opportunities working? Do you survey this? I also negotiate with advertising companies, they want your business as bad as you want to use them. Never pay full price for anything. Also, are you OVERPAYING your help? I know you want to be a good boss, but make sure they are not coming out better than you are at the end of the day. When I hire people- they start at the bottom. I cannot let a senior member feel less than someone with little experience. You have to keep your employees motivated, give them incentive to do well. I don't know your area, but these are a few of my practices that seem to help.

4. APLUS LAWN CARE

Yes, I actually have been working on that today. I have made a budget for the month of august that cuts my expenses from around 50% to around 28%. The changes will come from me doing more work myself (not hiring any help or very little help for August compared to previous months), lower fuel bill (my truck gets better mpg that my old truck and tighter routes), and cutting out unncessary spending. That is a big difference. I am budgeting almost $5,000 worth of work in August, and the changes mean a profit of over $3,000 compared to profits of $2,500 or less.

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

For me fuel seems to be the hardest thing to control, especially now as it seems to going higher and higher everyday, you can only pass off so much to the customer, then it's just suck it up.

6. APLUS LAWN CARE

Fuel will the hardest thing for me to control too. I tend to just mow what I want when I want so it is going to be really hard for me to create a tighter route, but I am going to work on it. You are right that you can only pass so much on to the customer. The customer should expect to see a small increase in price due to fuel prices, but they aren't going to be able to eat all the cost. It has to be split, your going to have to eat some of the fuel cost.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a fuel charge in all my contacts Fuel goes up The price goes up % Fuel comes back down, the price fallows
    Im not going eat it

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure my customers would go for that?

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

If they pay there trash bill each time fuel goes up, trash goes up

Fuel goes up Stamps goes up, UPS/fedx rates go up
    My seed company has fuel charge for delivery

Why should a Lawn guy eat it
    I pass it on down the line, But with me Fuel goes down I remove fuel charge on mowing.
    This on Commercial contacts only Res lawns I don't burn much fuel to worry about unless it hits $5.00 per gal

Now my Lock in rate jobs I have to eat it if goes over my mark.

10. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I got to work and put my route together well. And that made a huge difference.