1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a DIY lawn fert. program

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by coachgrd, Aug 15, 2004.

1. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

First off, my apologies to all the regulars, I imagine this question comes up once a week.

Anyway, I am having Chemlawn come out and give me an estimate on a lawn care (fertilizer & weeds). Now stay with me here...I called them just to get an estimate so my wife can see what kind of $$$ is involved here. I am a healthy red blooded guy who loves to get his hands dirty. It would really make me feel ashamed if I had someone come and do the work for me. Although I do not have a degree in turf grass science, I love the challenge of making it look like a Yankee Stadium and would enjoy sitting on the deck admiring my yard knowing I did it myself.

My only problem is I need some direction. I often wonder if the Scotts program works or if I can do the same thing with other less expensive products. I'd like to implement a plan next spring or if need be this fall. I have an area of about 1.5 acres. I am in zone 5, NW Pennsylvania to be exact.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and assistance!
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

What type of turfgrass do you have?
  3. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

I am at work as we speak so I do not know the breakdown of the turfgrass. I do know that it is a blend formulated for the northwestern PA area. As for the specific breakdown, I'll have to get that when I get home.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You relize your asking us to cut our own throat and TELL you what you need to use? lol

5. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

Oh, I understand that! :D I figured you guys would be more willing to give me some help rather than a local guy.
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, ya know, I bet if you drive around and notice some wonderfully lush green lawns, not all of them will be on this Scotts program that you mention.

We don't always have to buy brand name medicine, we can buy generic and still get the same results with the same acitve ingredients. Since most people do not understand fertilizers and what their ingredients do, then they're more likely to simply go with a published program that lays it out for them. Doesn't mean you have to.
  7. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

Alright, here is what the make up of my lawn is. Although I cannot say the actually percentage of each, the breakdown of the seed I used was a combo of Fescue, Bluegrass, & ryegrass. Hope this helps.
  8. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Four or Five applications of some marketed program and you're set.. Make sure you have a good spreader and follow the directions..

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Scotts is good, so is Lesco. See if there's a Lesco dealer in your area. I know the Home Depot carries their fertilizer in my area. Its cheaper than Scotts.

I would stick with a basic fertilizer regimen, four or five applications per season, with a pre-emergence in the spring. Overseed in the fall with whatever type of grass your lawn predominantly is. Maybe buy a backpack sprayer to spot spray weeds as they appear. Treat any other problems such as fungus or grubs if they crop up (hopefully not).

Even without "formal training" you can do a great job, since you see your lawn every day. You can take care of problems as soon as they appear. The Chemlawn guy might spend a total of 1-2 per year on your lawn.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
  10. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I was in the same position as you last summer - lawn was crap and I didnt know where to begin. A friend of mine was using chemlawn and his lawn looked nice but it was all chemicals. I did some research and found a company called Natural Lawn of America (www.nl-amer) who use an organic based care program. I have 1.2 acres and they charge me about $90 per application, which was close to me doing the work myself.

Just a different opinion.