I need a good Blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, May 26, 2005.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

What are the factors I need to consider when buying a blower? Is there an end all when it comes to blowers?

2. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

BUY RedMax and you will have answered your Question

Make sure you get the EB7001 or 8000

3. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Yeah RedMax EB8000 or Shindaiwa EB630 there is no question they are the best.

4. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I tell you what, what are people talking about blowing around as to need a Redmax 8000? I see that most of the lawncare businesses in town have handheld blowers and SMALL backpack blowers...today I quickly blew off a driveway, sidewalk, backporch and the curbside with a handheld Echo blower 200 model...it took me all of 5 minutes to do and it cost...why do I need a 28.71 pound Redmax 8000 (weight with 4.8 pints of fuel) blower to do that when I have an 8.8 pounds plus fuel weight and cost of $172 and some change...If I had my choice I would have a Stihl bg 85 handheld--it is a monster of power in a handheld or maybe the Redmax HBZ2600 handheld...Save the Redmax 8000 for the BIG stuff--wet grass on driveway, wet leaves, clumps and piles of leaves, sticks, logs, and angry spouses...the little stuff like dry grass clippings, small leaf debris, small sticks, the handheld works fine...that is the BOTTOM and the buck stops here--BIG stuff, Redmax 8000--Small Stuff, handhelds and lightweight backpacks...period! Let's put this subject to rest people!

5. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

I have a church account that is 30,000 sq feet with a lot of sidewalks. One walkway is around ¾th of the parameter and several walkways connecting multiple buildings. They offer to buy the gas and supply the equipment. They have a hand held blower. It takes around 18-20 min or more with their blower. With my Shindaiwa EB630 it takes 4 min or less from the time I start the blower to the time I am back at the truck shutting it off and recording the stop time. (I record the start and stop time of all my equipment for maintenance purposes.) Of course I prefer to use my back pack and my own gas. For me the 14-16 min reduction it time is worth it. It takes me about an hour to blow up the leaves that accumulates on the church property, even though it takes 5 hours to bag them. I would hate to try to blow up the leaves with their little crappy blower. The yield is about 35-45 large bags of packed leaves several times in the fall. Each bag of leaves weighs around 80 lbs. or more. Oh yeah by the way I am a 5’ 120 lbs. man. I am not at all affected by the weight of the Shindaiwa EB630. For those who complain that 20-30 lbs is to heavy, get in shape do some exercise and eat right.

6. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Your right the scrubs here do use handhelds but those of us that need to blow off BIG ass Propertys need something more

And when leaves start falling and you need to blow out flower beds and suck you let me know how good that hand held does

OH if you cant handel 25 pounds on ya back you may need to get in the weight room

You say save the redmax for the big stuff Well why should I need 2 or 3 diffrent pieces of equipment when I can use one for all of em

7. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, how bout this...one handheld for small, small, small stuff where you don't have to mess around with putting a pack on and the Redmax 8000 for leaves, big properties, large amounts of debris...and it is true that the weight is not really an issue with time saved and more dollars earned as a result...I do however have to get back in shape, so thanks for the reminder :) We all have our ideas and whether right or wrong I am glad that we all respect one another's thoughts...I have learned a great deal from this website...back to the blowers for a moment...I did have a Stihl br550 and it was TERRIBLE! The power to weight ratio was about the worse I have seen...I don't know where they get 530 cfm at the pipe...I demoed the Redmax 8000 and could not believe the power...go to the post where the woman posted that the 8000 lacked quality...it is under the redmax 8000 post...don't know why she said that...I was kicking large rocks out of the mud with the 8000...any blower that twists one at the hip when they gun the machine is a powerful one...I had to lean into the 8000 and I am 230 pounds and full of muscle--well, muscle that has memory waiting to remember...lol...