1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a good come back!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bligh61, Nov 29, 2005.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys have an answer for this customer. I have done his fall leaf clean up for 8 yrs. Aveage cost around $400. This year his son viaited and filled about 15 light bags of leaves. He wants the cleanup to now be cheaper. I usually remove about 3/4 ton mulched leaves. help
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just see how long it takes u now compaired to how long it usually took before and bill it accordingly. Keep it fairly high though so he mite not have the son help any more.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

It actually made it harder and more time consuming for me since I will have to remove all the leaves from the plastic bags so they can be disposed of properly (no non-degradables with bio-degradables). I won't charge you extra this time.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

one way is to ask him how much cheaper he wants it. what ever the answer is, you tell him no thanks. can't do it for that and tell him his son can finish it.

what people need to learn is if they have a dependable man/company doing their work, they are better off to forget the favors you are takling about.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

let his son finish the job. what kind of work ethic is he teaching his son if he lets him start a job and not complete it.....ok cut him a break $399.95
  6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i get people like that all the time, they will clean the flower beds , make pile's of leaves next to the bed, once it gets wet its hard to move them. then they want it cheaper, what do i do? go to my truck get my backpack blower and re-clean the beds, then i charge extra because of the pile of leave that need to be tarped,and dragged to the truck, as far as 15 bags of leaves, thats not much at all...... my leaf box is 9ft9ft and 6ft tall, and if i get done and my box is full.... there is NO price break!!!!! in my eyes, the home owner thinks that the work they do makes our job easer, but in fact it makes it worse!!!!!
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is what i would do: tell him you'll do the job for $300. then, don't show up.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What your written contract say?
  9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup......Time and material !
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i HATE showing up at jobs and seeing piles all over, i have to pick up those wet piles as well as redo the whole yard because its covered again. No price break!!!