I need a good herbicide

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Matt Bernatz, May 1, 2007.

1. Matt Bernatz

Matt Bernatz LawnSite Member

I used 2 gallons of roundup (the strongest roundup I could find). I mixed it 6oz. per gallon of water (per directions). I applied it generously to some weeds in my yard. They are green as ever. Even some small poison oak plants weren't affected by it. What is a good weed killer (that will also work on poison oak)? Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

glphosate@41% go to your co-op

3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

how long did you allow bf you were expecting results....Roundup can take several days to show any damage to the weed. this can depend on the weed, temp, available moisture..there is a formulation that has an agent that gives an almost immediate burn-down on what it is applied to.......there is a formulation that will kill poison ivey and i suspect poison oak, as well.

http://www.roundup.com/index.cfm/event/showDocument/documentId/1c47822e380daf9bbdb20570cf00d81b

"glphosate@41% go to your co-op"

This is round-up, depending on the formulation.....

4. Matt Bernatz

OK...remember this is the homeowner section. The label says to expect "visible results" in 24 hours. I sprayed on Saturday morning and checked yesterday afternoon. They all looked healthy.

What is my co-op?

Thanks for the help.

5. nmurph

from ga

if you don't know what a co-op is, you probably don't have one. they are businesses where you pay a few and join. rural co-ops are typically for farmers. you get discounts on what you buy. technically a Sam's club is a co-op. forget about it........

if you sprayed it will die. give a little more time. what has the weather been like in San Diego. if the temps are cool (60-70) it may take a few more days for the damage to show. also, the i would guess that the roundup will kill the poison oak if the plants are small and tender. i have seen it kill mature blueberry bushes. we use it to keep oaks from re-sprouting when we saw them down. we put a 50/50 mixture on the stump around the cambium ring. works like a charm.

6. Matt Bernatz

It has been around 80 in San Diego and sunny. The premium time to spray. I did spray the little poison oak plants, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If I have a bush (of poison oak) about the size of a geo metro, how would I deal with that?

7. nmurph

from ga

i would light the metro and step back!!! i don't think a metro would be too much of a sacrifice to kill poison oak.
    we don't have poison oak down here in God's country, so i don't have clue. we do have poison ivey, but it is usually a small bush.
    be aware that the fumes from burning poison oak/ivey can carry the urushiol oil that makes these bushes such a problem. you can get a very nasty reaction in you airway from inhaling the smoke. it would tough to scratch. this oil can stay active for years after the plant dies.

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Mix a little lesco momentum broadleaf weed control with the roundup, and it'll kill the poison ivy/oak better. Follow label instructions.

9. DiyDave

Mix a little lesco momentum broadleaf weed control with the roundup, and it'll kill the poison ivy/oak better. Follow label instructions.

10. DiyDave

Now how in the h**l did that happen? I only pushed the button once, I swear