I need a hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravyTrain, Oct 20, 2008.

1. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

Any thoughts. I will be using this for my yard, and maybe 5 other customers, each with only a handful of small bushes. I might have more customers that require this service in the future, but I would say no more than 10 over the next year.

I know a lot of guys hate the big box stores like Home Depot, but they do have a few between 200 and 300 dollars. I guess what I'm looking to know is that with the limited use that I'm going to be doing, can I get away with a "pro" grade model from Home depot, or should I drop the $500 to get a strong quality product like a Stihl.

At the end of the day, I will be getting this primarily for personal use, and when customers require the service, I'll slowly be paying for the equipment.

2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Sthil hs 80 and you'll never be disappointed.

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

go with the Kawasaki KHS750B or the Tanaka HTD-2530PF

you wont be sorry

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

shindawia home pro is execellent unit for the $

5. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info guys, I wouldn't mind getting a few more suggestions if anybody has any. I'm going to research the one's mentioned above.

Also, for the record, Stihl has moved onto it's next line in the 80 series, it is the HS 81 now.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If you do not mind {or can} spending alittle more money I would highly suggest a short shaft hedge trimmer. To me they are so much more usefull and easy to use. On short round shrubs you can tilt the head and you do not have to lean over as far. The one that I highly suggest is the Kawasaki short shaft trimmer. I wrote a review about a week ago on this trimmer compairing it to my others if you want more details on them.

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

You do not need to spend $500 for a quality hedge trimmer.

I suggest you look at maruyama first, their blades are really something else, superhard steel. But there's might be no dealer near you, cause there aren't that many.

The other thing that seems to be the craze for the past few years is the tanaka THT-210S. Light with 11lbs, 26" blades and 1.1hp . Both the maruyama and tanaka retail under $400.

The stihl hs-80 has a reputation for being indestructible but very heavy as well. The engine was too big - that's why it was replaced with the HS-81. You can get it with two different gearbox & blade options ; one for trimming and the other for cutting back. Both are pricey.

As far as shindaiwa goes, every hedge trimmer I demoed was heavy and vibrated like hell. They make tough stuff but this was just too much for me.

8. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

I have the HS -80, very strong and reliable and agree that it gets heavy!! If I was to buy again, I would look for a lighter unit. Good luck.

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Husky 326-something... 36" blade, double sided. Heavy duty machine, and yes, it's a bit heavy, but I really love this hedge trimmer. It will go through 1" branches with ease as long as the throttle is wide open. Nice balance, great cut and the ergonomics are excellent. The ergonomics offset the weight really well.

It will beat the crap out of your arms and shoulders if you are trimming at shoulder height.... that's when I get a ladder. Mine did have to get another ignition coil under warrantee, but other wise, it's a beast. When this one was in the shop, I used a loaner, a Husky 20-something inch single sided, at half the weight. I found that the bigger heavier 326 was much easier to use, and the ergonomics much less stressful on my carpal tunnel problems.

I would recommend this machine... my Husky line trimmer? Different story. See if you can demo this unit. It tackles the big jobs, and you won't outgrow it, except for a long reach hedger like the RedMax.

10. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

I have the stihl fs 80 and its a beast, but the weight of it is a major draw back. Next time i will be going with a shaft trimmer.