1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a letter to drop a PITA customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Does anyone have a letter to drop a PITA in a nice way? If so could you post it or PM me and I will give you my email. Thanks!
  2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Something simple

Dear customer,

Unfortunately we will no longer be able to service your property.

No need for a long drawn out letter. If they call and ask why just politely tell them that they are a PITA.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr & Mrs Smith

Due to economic reason's I must increase my price, your previous price of $45 per cut must per increased to $100 per cut

ie ... the price increase is better than dropping em .... 2x or 3x which ever ... let them decide

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on what type of PITA it is...the "non paying PITA" or the "stand outside and nit-pick PITA" or the "lots of toys and hoses in the yard PITA" :laugh:
  5. Grits

from Florida

Actually, it is the wait until I leave, then call me 2 hours later complaining about crap that doesn't exist. It is not the first time. This is just a minimum price cut that I do not mind losing. It is an old as dirt / in bad health couple from up North that do nothing but stay home. The classic example of old people that have nothing better to do than to find something to b!tch about. They are the only customers I have that have complaints....ALL my other customers LOVE my work and refer me to others. I have enough quality accounts that I do not need them.
  6. Grits

from Florida

I thought about doing this. But, no amount of money is worth it. I hate going to service this account. I will not do something that I hate. What if they said OK, double is fine. I still wouldn't want to do it for that.
  7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah. Or make it sound more humble.

Dear customer:

It has become clear that we are not capable of providing the level of service you require. We feel you would be better served with another company from this point forward.

When they call you and beg you to come back, which they probably willl, insist that you are sure your service is not adequate and they will be better served elsewhere.
  8. Grits

from Florida

This is perfect. Thanks!
  9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

What exactly are you worried about? I dont understand. You say the are older than dirt, pita, losers so why exactly do you need to dismiss them with dignity. Just don't show up. I know many will say that is the wrong thing to do but I have had pita customers who wouldnt refer my services and bitched about everything and I just didnt go back. When I hate an account, I would do the right thing but not in this case. I reserve the loyalty letters for customers who are respected and may talk and I might get a bad rap. Not for losers like these though.
  10. toddhess

toddhess LawnSite Member

It feels so good to fire a customer!!!! Let me say it again... It feels so good to fire a customer!!! I agree with the Mark in MD that said that it is clear that we are unable to meet your expectations and we will not be maintaining your property any longer...

I got rid of 8 PITA's this Spring and replaced it with 11 great customers that I work less for and get paid better.