1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a Little advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowing and More, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Mowing and More

Mowing and More LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I am new to this site but i have been cutting grass for a few years. I am Interested In purchasing a new zero radius mower. I was looking at toro and scag.. if any one has an opinion on which is a better value or if any one has owned a walk behind and a zero turn rider do you think its worth the extra money to have the rider ?
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Both Toro and Scag are good machines. I would go with the dealer that will offer you the best service. You might save a few bucks by buying equipment from a less qualified dealer but you will end up paying for it in down time if you need the stuff worked on.
    Is a rider worth it??? It all depends on how large your average lawn is. Some yards are just too small to get a rider (even a ZTR) in and out of and around in.
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Have both, the walk behind is now my 'back-up' machine but the Z hasn't let me down yet.. Both machines were purchased new.

When I first started the business a used Toro 44" 20 hp Hydro was my 'big machine' the next year I traded it for a 20 hp t-bar hydro 52" deck with a 'trac vac' system, the next year growth brought on some larger estates and I purchased my Z a Toro 153, it is now my primary machine and is used on all of my accounts.

This is just MY experience, the Z works for me and MY customers.

YOU will have to be the judge of which machine will be right for you.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on your accounts. I find I need both. I have lawns that are large accounts and without my walkers would take me forever. I also have accounts that are extremely nice and I wouldn't touch them with a rider due to amount of turns, definition of beds and because it is sloped. Your accounts determine the kind of machines you use.

I have used scag cougars and they have great suction if you are bagging or using it for cleanups. Never touched toro. Just personal opinion. :cool:
  5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

There are a lot of quality machines. But not all dealers are quality so find one make chums with him and make sure he deals Kubotas.:D
  6. LCAmerica2

LCAmerica2 LawnSite Member

exmark is they way to go. my lazer has been around the block a few times and still cuts like its brand new. my guys beat the **** out my walkbehinds and never had a problem with them. just my opinion