I need a little help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by srvfan, Aug 22, 2007.

1. srvfan

srvfan LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants lighting on her walkway. She has junk installed right now that will be removed. She does not want spread lights placed in her grass again(good thing). She does not have any large trees to place down lights in. I'm looking for some suggestions.

blair.JPG

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I would suggest putting in a few small flower beds along the walkway, on either side. It might require about 3 beds on one side and 2 on the other. You could then place spread lights in the beds to not only light the walkway, but the beds as well. Use a good fixture with a wide photometric to cover more area with fewer fixtures. Remember, you don't have to have light on every bit of the path. It is perfectly fine to have a small area of darkness between these pools of light. I would suggest the Kichler 15443 or similar fixture. This will give a pool of light and it also shoots out little shards of light that will fill in some of the dark spots a little.

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

Good luck,

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Pauls suggestion is ideal however if re-planting isnt in option then you will be limited to how well you place your pathlights. Unless I am missing something int he picture it appears that moonlighting is out of the question so when placing your pathlights a nice look to avoid the "runway" look would be to stagger your lights from one side to another. Spacing will depend on the fixture you are using and it's photo metrics. Obviously a larger shrouded light will give you more spread, a taller pathlight will have the same effect.

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I am with Paul and Joey on this one and I will take it a step further bein that creating nice bed lines is "what I do". More pics would have helped but ....I see a pine tree I believe off walk in upper right. A bed could curve around it as well to eliminmate mowing between (then maybe uplight the pine too). Same goes for the retaining wall and tree or trees in bottom left of picture. Once these 2 areas are done the rest will become more obvious. Might be nice to keep an area open somewhere on both sides to get a mower across. All this is doesnt matter tho if customer isnt open for some needed landscaping also.
    Lastly take an old golf club umm maybe a wedge or driver and hold a tourney to see who can hit the old path lights the furthest. I am in if you or Paul buys me a ticket down there!

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

we did one similar to this and we placed small beds in. Half circles (around 2.5 ft or so) and installed seasonal color in them.

Really avoid the lights in the turf. Ideally 2 beds would be run up the sides of the walkway to help detract from the presence of the lighting during the day time. Since its not a real wide walkway you could use a lower profile fixture and tuck it in these beds. Probably staggered around 8-10 ft apart depending on the photo metrics of the light. Since its straight you could probably go even further apart.

I think your only other option would be a recessed pathlight like the Hunzas or SPJ's

I am also surprised no one suggested building a nice railing along here and using deck lights which is also an option if she doesnt want to maintain flower beds.

6. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

This looks like a dock walkway? Paul how about some dock lights? :)

7. RICHLONGHORN

RICHLONGHORN LawnSite Member

Check out Vista fixture GW-5263. It could be your solution. It is basically a well light that has a half moon louver that protrudes 1 3/4" above grade. I have seen them used in applications like your's & they do a nice job. They direct the light source onto the pathway with no glare issues for those walking the path. They accept either a 10 watt or 20 watt T3 lamp.

8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Let's not forget Champion's 4w Deck/Paver light! For sure, this will be another perfect situation where his fixtures would work perfectly. I'm sure you'll see more pic's of this beautiful creation as soon as he reads this post!

9. srvfan

srvfan LawnSite Member

I think the Vista fixture GW-5263 is what I'm looking for. She does not want beds along the path. I would stagger these down the path every 12 feet or so, she is afraid of stepping on a snake. You guys let me know what you think, I always welcome suggestions from people with more experience than myself. I looked at similar fixtures made for vertical mount but they were not recommended for horizontal surface. I did not know this fixture was available.

Thanks

5263th.jpg

5263.jpg

10. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

This is a good fixture for this purpose and I have used them on a few occasions. One problem, they don't hold up well with lawn maintenance crews. As long as your client knows that they can get pretty torn up by a lawn mower, it will be fine. Get a few extras to keep in stock for replacements.