I need a little help........

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by head_start, Jan 30, 2010.

1. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

ok so i mow small scale, and am still in high school. I want to mow more because i hate baling hay and really want to make money another way. I just have one problem. I only cut about three lawns. How do i get more? Im not talking huge numbers, and i live near many small towns it the center of Illinois. can anyone help me out? i just like lawncare and want to make some money, all advice will help and i mean all advice.

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to advertise and network. It is the only way.

3. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

i couldnt say it better..

4. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

What's so bad about baling hay? Just asking, never did it just curious,I'm a city boy.

5. Flatop

Flatop LawnSite Member

If you want more business, you can try advertising on your local craigslist or make some sign and post them near high traffic areas where you wish to mow lawns. Best thing is word of mouth. Talk to your clients and ask them if they may know of anyone else they may need their lawns cut. If you can, I suggest getting a cell phone dedicated for your lawn care.

6. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

well im really skinny like 130 and 6.0ft tall so i have a hard time throwing 70 bales around, its super dusty, and really quite annoying to pick it out of ur ears and clothes for the next four days. I would bathe twice and still find hay in my hair. Basicly i would rather mow than bale.
    What do you mean by networking?

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Networking is meeting with other business people, becoming knowledgeable about their business, and then recommending them to others that you meet. Presumably, they would do the same for you. A good place to start is your local Chamber of Commerce. They probably hold several events a month.

8. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, try putting out flyers where you already mow so you don't have to travel far between lawns, and also ask you customers if they know of anyone who may be interested in lawn care. Just do a good job and be professional, and you will get accounts. Look around on the forums, and use the search feature, you'll find tons of info.

Welcome to the forums, I'm also in high school and doing just a few lawns, so I know how you feel

God Bless you and your business :)

9. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

What I did was... tool 1,000 flyers to a local pizza shop and asked them if they'd promote my business some how... the guy took a likeing to me trying to help me out he took 500 flyers put them on every pizza box, hoagie, or what ever had a box... he taped my flyer to it... didn't get nmany phone calls but hey it got my name out there.. try that... not a dominos or pizza hut but a local mom n pop shop
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Man buddy…its flippen awesome…nothing like having dust particales all over you all day long working 12 hours a day. If you think mowing grass messes with your allergies you should play with hay. It is really a blast when the bails have hornet nets wrapped up in them. Then of course you always get at least 1 or 2 snakes rapped up in the bails too. Once bailed you are manually throwing each bail on the truck or trailer. Once at the barn you have to throw each bail to the second story (well ours went to the second story)…once your done, no matter how good your gloves are, you have rope burn all over your hands.

In all honestly it really isn’t bad if your only doing it every once in a awhile but full time sucks…badly lol…and no money unless you own the farm