1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I need a little pep talk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here's the story.

I currently work for the fd. Am afraid I am getting burned out. (15 years) of service but still 20 or so years before retirement. Have a really hard time enjoying work anymore when I feel as though I am just "scraping by".

Have owned and operated a lawncare business for the past 6 years. I love to do this. The challenges though lately seem overwhelming.

Have had training for a real estate career but have not actually worked in the field. Enjoy the challenge of the material and what it would envolve. Am thinking about getting my license but I hate to give up the freedom now I have of the time off and the ability to have a business.

BUT, I really enjoy being the one who makes the decisions and determines rather I make it or not. Nobody to answer to. Working on my terms. I am like a little kid when looking at new equipment and daily I seek new information on better ways to run the business and more efficient operation. What I am saying is that I REALLY would love to grow the business and make that my career. Don't get me wrong.....my business has been successful but not to the point that I could leave my job (just over broke).

My better half/girlfriend/maybe future wife wants me to be happy and she has been there thru the fd with me and thinks that I have the potential to do other things.

I guess I just want to know when my ship is coming in.

I apologize....I know I am rambling....maybe its the no work winter blues....but I just need a little kick in the rear. SO....if you have got great big boots......GET TO KICKIN!

Thanks guys for letting me vent even if it didn't make much sense.

;)

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I feel you Merlin. I often think about what else I could or should be doing. I suppose a lot of that is mid-life crisis stuff. Guys generally start to wonder about whether they are heading in the right direction around middle age and wonder if it's not time to change course before it's too late.

But the other part of it is just realizing the obvious. At some point, it eventually becomes obvious that maybe you are not going to accomplish your goals with the current "vehicle". Then, you have to decide whether to adjust your goals or whether to maybe try another vehicle.

Finally, I don't know what your pursuasion is regarding religion. But I believe that our hopes and dreams are only going to be realized to a certain degree. It's really God who is in control. No matter what our plans may be, it is His will that is going to be done, in the end.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart. But it is the Lord's purpose that prevails" - Proverbs 19:21

"We may make our plans, but God has the last word." - Proverbs 16:1

"We should make plans - counting on God to direct us." - Proverbs 16:9

I am afraid there isn't any good answer. If you are praying man, I suggest praying about it and watch for answers and opportunities. If not, I guess just do what you feel is best. It may well be that you were made to be a Real Estate agent. And that may be the thing that you turn out to be most successful and fulfilled at. But I don't know that any of us will be able to predict that.

Best wished to you.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if u look cute in a skirt sell real estate
    do what makes u happy

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I second what Jim said,

acknowledge Him (Jesus Christ) and He shall direct thy paths - Proverbs 3:6

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i second dusty....you will be always running around if you are a realtor. no weekends, no anniversaries, no holidays, no vacations....horrible. you will get up really early and show houses at 10-11pm at night. you can make good money, but there are a lot of fees that they pay like their desk, their phone, their business cards, everything. read a book on how to become a realtor first.

If you love the LCO business so much, you should go ahead and think of ways to grow so that you can afford to quit your FD job. maybe gettting another 25-40 clients will do the trick???

i think it's mostly winter blues. sorry for not having "the answer".

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

OK I think I can put I little different spin on this. I too am a full-time firefighter. I went to college and got a degree to work in computers.....in 1998 after 7 years in that field....I could no longer hack it......I quit, got a part-time FD job, and started my LCO. I was very lucky to get my Full-time FD positon within 3 months...... This is my dream job. But I love my LC work also.... I can tell you from experience that you have to like/love what you do or you will be miserable at work, at home, etc....I hated my life when I was working in computers....it was very bad for my marriage also....

Bottom line....no matter what you do you have to enjoy it. If you don't; make things so you can make a change. Please don't take offense, I work with guys at the FD that hate coming to work. I hate working with them. Negativity is a poison that can, over time destroy even the most positive of people. Attitude is very important, chose to be positive whatever it is you do. But don't waste your life being bitter and grumpy with work if you are not willing to take the risk and make a change.

It can be a tough decision....but statistic say most people make at least 1-2 career changes in a life time.

I was lucky I had a very supportive wife, the financial means to make the change and as Jim said ....the guidance of God to see me through. He had it all planned out for me anyway......all I had to do was have faith.

Derek

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's good to see you have a supportive lady by your side. I say follow your heart and do what makes you happy.

8. Tgreen

Tgreen LawnSite Member

This is my first post. :waving: Im new to the lawncare business and Im also a paid firefighter. They(FD) will have to take me out in a wooden box...lol....im never leaving!

Merlin, it sure sounds like you are burned out. What you need is a little time away from the FD....a vacation would do you some good, brother!

Think this through before you even consider leaving the FD. You have 15 years in the FD....do you want to leave the benefits and retirement behind?

You have the best of both worlds now(FD and lawncare). Why change it!

9. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

They say:

"If you love what your doing for a living, you will never work a day in your life".

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Merlin
    I know how you feel I left a city job to start my own business,I was at the city for 14 years with 16 to go and retire at 49 with full benefits but I could not last another day.My wife (girlfriend at the time) knew I had to leave.I first year was not real easy but I made it and looking back now I only have one regret and that was not leaving 10 years earlier because I hated that job from day 1.Sometimes you just get sucked into these little ruts and before you know it you have been there another year and then another then you get more money before you know it another year is gone well at least thats what happened to me.I had one of the easiest jobs and was one of the highest paid when I left my job and the guys could not believe I was really leaving but it made me happy so if you think leaving for something else will make you happy then go for it.