1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i need a lot of help...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by christian8574139309, Jan 16, 2010.

1. christian8574139309

christian8574139309 LawnSite Member

hi iam new in this page i just turn 19 years old ive been working in landscape for the past 4 years a have alot of experiance in the job iam the crew in charge in the company and now i want to start my own company i have a few customers i do do mowing mulch and snowplowing but i dont know absolutely nothing on the legal part, taxes, estimates, registration, how to get more customers, etc. i would like if somebode with a lot of experience can help me i will appreciate a lot. thank you. :confused::confused:
  2. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 LawnSite Member

3. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Figure in how much everything cost for you to run a business for a day. Add the amount of money you want to profit per day. Divide that number by the amount of hours you will spend actually at a customer’s property.

Here is an example….this is just an example so do not use these numbers.

Fuel, trimmer string, ware and tear on equipment plus all the things to be legal cost $150 per day

You want to profit $150.00 per day

You know on a 10 hour day you will only be working 6 hours. The rest of time is working on equipment, paper work, or traveling from job to job.

For a 10 hour day, with 6 hours of work that you can charge for, you will need $50.00 per hour to operate while you’re on a job working.

Not to be rude but believe it or not you will be doing a lot of writing. I recommend a English class or at least learn to use Microsoft word.

Contact an insurance company, state police in your area, and an accountant for the other legal stuff…..this is your life, don’t risk it to the best answer on here…get legal advice

Hope this helps
  4. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Everyone's numbers are different. On this site... everyone will tell you that you are charging too little no matter what it is... sometimes its true. But you have to know what you are going to be spending so you will know what you are actually making. Gross is nice but net (money left after expenses) is what counts
  5. Jim Bo

Jim Bo LawnSite Member

When you get some money, hire a good accountant. They no all the legal stuff for your area and they can start planning the future of your company.
    Jim Bo
  6. goblingreen

goblingreen LawnSite Member

Why do you suggest contacting the state place in the area....Just what kind of grass are you taking care of?
  7. SangerLawn

from indiana

It’s for the department of transportation. Depending what kind of equipment you have DOT requires different auto insurance and DOT numbers to be applied on your vehicle. By contacting the state police they can inform you of what needs done.

I could be wrong but…aren’t you the one that was acting like you new everything about the lawn care industry? Just so you know….about 99 percent of lawn care trucks are required to have DOT numbers…maybe this is something else you need to look into?
  8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

umm, not exactly true about the DOT#'s. Every state is different. Some do not require #'s if your working within the state only.
  9. SangerLawn

from indiana

DOT numbers are federal and not governed by the state. Working within the state and out of state is the reason for intrastate and interstate numbers. You receive intrastate numbers if only working in the state and interstate numbers if working out of state (crossing state lines).What makes the difference is the GWR or your vehicle not where you are located.

With that said some states are more lenient then others as far as inspections. Where I am you always see lawn care trucks pulled over by DOT but you hardly ever see it in Kentucky.

I recommend calling the state police and asking to speak with a DOT officer. According to State farm insurance, if you are required to have DOT numbers along with all the inspections done on your truck and don’t, then get into an accident, your insurance coverage is void because you did not have commercial insurance on that vehicle.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. SangerLawn

from indiana

My apologies on the above post…..i should have said most states require the numbers on your truck. The rest you are allowed to carry the numbers inside your truck…..to late to fix that…sorry

But ether way you must have them