I need a mower....But what size?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by waldo98998, Jan 25, 2006.

1. waldo98998

waldo98998 LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I know this has been asked a thousand times, and there is no one answer, but any advice will help me a lot.
    I found 2 wb mowers that I am choosing from, Husg 36" or 48". I am in the Atlanta aera with 7 accounts so far, only 1 has a gate that a 48" will not fit through. but I have no idea what new accounts will have. For an extra $300 I can get the 48", but this will be my primary mower and I am wondering if I should go with the 36" since it will go almost anywhere. Or get the 48" and just use the 21" in the random yards with a small gate?

Please help, it is my first year and I do not want to screw up!

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Get the 48" and a 21" for the jobs in the fences. Make sure you charge a little more for having to push a little 21" around though. Don't screw yourself.

3. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

I agree totally you can get a 36 next year. A 48 = more productivity. Get a Shindaiwa redmax or stihl blower and string trimmer set all of that on a dual axle trailer and youll be good to go

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have larger accounts that would require the 48"? Will you possibly be getting more accounts which require a 36" for gated yards?

If you don't think you will have but 1 or 2 gated yards, then just use a 21" for those and get the 48". But if you think you will be getting more gated yards in the future, you might want to consider getting the 36" this year and then next year getting a 52" Stander or Z. It depends on where you think you will be in the future and what size, 36" or 48", will best meet your needs for the future and if the added 12" is needed for the extra efficiency in your first year. There are a lot of variables, think it through thoroughlly before making a decision.