1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a new blower...and some input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I searched the forum, but to my surprise, I couldn't find anything on the subject. My old blower finally blew up today. Started making a ringing noise. Turned it off, then started back up. Made ringing noise and then CLUNK. Put more gas in it just to see. Made the noise everytime I pulled. Finally it just seized. I needed a new one anyway. That's just an excuse so I won't feel bad after paying $400 for a new one. On to the point...what blower do you all recommend? I know the Redmax 8000 is a dang good one. But the new Stihl BR 600 is supposed to be just as good. Who has used both and what do you think? How much should I expect to fork out for each one of these?
  2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

I Got A Br400 And Its Plenty Strong.
  3. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

and with MUCH, MUCH research and a return of the BR 550, decided to buy the BR600...let me explain why...this machine is much lighter, has 712 cfm at the tube end, is contoured, has important parts well protected, has an anti-static/elec shock conductor wire inside the tube (eliminating the static elec shock--how do I know, I am in a very, very dry climate and in a cloud of dust, and not one shock), is quieter, is less expensive, is way less bulky, to name just a few...does it have valves to tinker with after 130 hours...yes, but it can be done yourself (go to search and try to find the post where a person explains the process)...and the valves sometimes are just fine after the 130 hours, they just need checked...the BR 550 was OK but I was not impressed, so I returned it and bought the BG85 handheld, which is the BEST handheld out there, followed by maybe redmax...I am very impressed with the 600, as it is very powerful...now, to the redmax 8000. 688 cfm at the tube, no conductor wire (thus shocking you), bulky, heavy, loud, important parts just hanging out like they were an afterthought, expensive, but also very powerful...I think that for the price redmax should have done a better job of designing the machine...pay 500 plus for a machine and it should be darn near perfect...which machine would you buy...write the pros and cons on paper and come to a conclusion like I did...is the BR600 the best machine out there? I will not say 100 percent with a yes, but it is a real good one, just looks ghetto for the year 2005...
  4. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

I have a BR-600, it's a monster. Love it and it lists for $479 in Cincinnati.
    Can't comment on the RedMax but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

You would do fine with either one.

5. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. They were really helpful. I guess I may look into the BR 600. Do I really need all that power though? And how much of an ordeal is the valve job? I've been just using a homeowner's backpack blower is pretty much what it is I guess. It's done me well. Do I need the best out there right now? Would it be good to go ahead and get the best so maybe I won't have to buy another one? You can do a lot with $400. Just trying to weigh everything to make sure I don't regret the purchase. I bought an FS80R a week ago, and haven't regretted it in the least bit. I want this blower purchase to be the same.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Give serious consideration to the BR420 it is light and is still a true 2-stroke with good power. It won't outdo the Bigger units but it is easier to get it on/off and onto the trailer. We have some of the big units and we are moving back to lighter units.
  7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Redmax 7001 and I couldn't be happier. I actually ran it over with a trailer and its still close to mint with just a couple scratches here and there.
  8. dcplace2004

not the Stihl...the BR600 looks great and is very powerful...peace...
  9. dcplace2004

even if it cost me 40 bucks to get them set correctly, it would be worth it to me...just remember that 2 cycle engines are on their way out...even redmax will eventually have to go to a hybrid soon...they found a loophole in the system to allow them to stay with 2 cycles for the timebeing...
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

YEah I still have my original br420 I bought my first year and it runs like a champ, puts out about as much air as the 550 AND consumes as much if not less fuel. I even ran it over with the trailer, and after replacing the turbine cover, all is good again. Runs without the orange plastic parts, and a few other things make it look like something out of waterworld but it runs GREAT!

Why consider a strong, 400-dollar model? cauz you can use it for leaves while the rest of the year I use it at 30-50% throttle, barely putting any wear and tear on it, probably the MOST wear and tear it gets is over HALF is in the fall and then if you run over it, that wears it out too lol, otherwise it's no issue.