i need a new edger, what should i get

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JML, Feb 8, 2001.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

i currently have a little wonder edger, it does a good job, but we picked up some big apartment complexes this year, and we need a very good edger or two. what is the best edger out there, no slipping of belts and no bogging down. i really don't care how much it costs as long as it does a good job.. thanks

2. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Check out the Tanaka TLE550 edger. I believe it has a 50cc 2 cycle engine and it uses a solid steel drive shaft instead
    of a belt. Costs about $600.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

buy a stihl stick edger- trash the wheeled one.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I agree ...that he should go to a stick for produtiviy...but i wouldn't get rid of the wheeled unit...they work great on those jobs that haven't been done in a while......
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

6. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

My Echo has ben to hell and back and loves it. To me the price is right and great first pull starts. The blade is easy to change,under a minute. I have considered getting another brand, but why. We do 25 yards daily with no problems.

Keep your current push edger for the first hard cuts. Then go to town with your stick edger.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also own an echo stick edger. I have done areas with it that have not been done in a LONG time. It seems to do fine. Just make sure you get a stick with enough power.
  8. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

how is the tanaka stick edger compared to others, are they the same or is there a different drive system.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The new stihl has 2 wheels so you don't need to do the balancing act anymore.
  10. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I've ran Shindiawa(T230), Redmax, and just bought a Husky this morning. The Shindiawa wasn't really powerful enough for the St Augustine down here in Fl. but they make bigger units that are. The Redmax has been great, no problems except plugs and filters for 5+ yrs. I was going to buy another but decided on the Husky. It's MUCH lighter and at $239 boasts almost as much hp's as the Redmax for $419. Russ