i need a new employee-please help!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cntryboymc, Feb 7, 2008.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

greetings all!i am looking for some suggestions to find a new employee.i have had someone at least part-time the last three years and it has been very beneficial and profitable.ive been lucky enough to have farm kids that know how to use equipment.now,im starting to gain better properties and get better equipment so i would like to consider someone for year round work.any suggestions short of newspaper ads would be appreciated.also any suggestions on continuing to pay cash or should the person be always on the books?

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't pay cash. If you are going to do this, do the right thing. As far as finding a good employee, all I can say is I have been trying for 2 full years and still can't find a good one. You will find that this is the most difficult aspect of our line of work. I continue to be held back and lose money because I can't find a good foreman. Helpers are almost not worth it unless you pay them minimum wage. I have had some that can't put one foot in front of the other, much less properly use my equipment and do quality work.

You could list the position with the unemployment office. You can sometimes find some decent people there. You could try a temp agency also.

3. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I have advertised on craigslist and have received several calls from people with alot of lawn care/landscaping experience. The best part is it's free.

4. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

You have two 2006 pretty nice trucks. How did you afford them by paying your help cash so you would not have to pay taxes, workers comp, liability insurance, etc. Come on get legal, Please! and then us legitimate business owners might give you some advice.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

GOOD MORNING!

“Hire the best. Pay them fairly. Communicate frequently. Provide challenges and rewards. Believe in them. Get out of their way and they’ll knock your socks off.”

Mary Ann Allison

To A Great Business & Great Life,

This was from my e myth coach today. You may check that thread for other insights to hiring and keeping good employees.

In short ask yourself "would you work for you with the wages you are paying?" That is what it boils down to.

The other caveat is just because you pay them more dosen't mean they are worth more. Test them, check references and use your common sense look at their car their hygiene their penmanship. You can train most anyone if they have enough sense to learn. That is what I would recommend, fewer bad habits that way.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sometimes you have to sit back and bite your lip.....

I turned over almost everything to this guy who told me he couldn't handle it....

I informed him that he will be hireing someone, he will be in charge of this persons safety, he will be in charge of these propteries......

and belive me he was scared to death.....

he did Quite well, and he's now out getting me contracts....

I know it's hard to give them the keys and say there it is.... when it's about 40 to 50 thousand....

But Trust your jugement.........

Good luck

7. landscaper22

Mary Ann Allison must not do lawn work, construction, or other similar jobs. When you are in a professional office setting your labor pool to choose from is a little different. In our work 90% of our labor pool is the rust at the bottom of the barrel. Hate to be so blunt, but it is the truth.
    And money is not the defining factor as to whether or not an employee will do good work or not. I try to be fair in the wage I pay. I even tell them when I set their wage...Great quality work and showing responsibility means more money for you. They don't care though. But if I paid the employees a salary I would be happy with, I would be out of business. Either an employee has the drive or they don't. No matter the wage they will work according to what is instilled into them. I hate to burst Mary Ann's bubble. All that talk sounds really good, but it is not real world. Most employees that have drive in them would have stayed in school, stayed off drugs, and out of jail. And they would not be in our applicant pool for lawn care and landscaping. If they are not even motivated enough to graduate from high school, they sure are not going to be motivated enough to be the employee you so want them to be.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW, If i Read this right,,,, you only hire druggies, convicts, and high school drop outs?

you must be doing something wrong.

I take it you didn't go to college, or study Managment,
    your outlook is simply not correct, unless your employee is taken fron the projects,

I feel for ya man

9. landscaper22

I don't really get it. No, I don't try to hire drug heads. But how many educated, highly motivated, level-headed individuals do you really know that are eager to work for another LCO and try to make a living. Come on, be real. I don't know many. Some LCOs are lucky enough to find a good person. And I am quick to tell them to count their blessings.
    If you take all the illegal citizens away from our country what will our pool of applicants be? It has nothing to do with the salary. Certain jobs require different skill levels. Higher skill levels require higher education, which requires motivation and a drive to succeed. It all goes together as part of an individual. The individuals that do not finish school, and sometimes turn to drugs, and often look to the government or others for handouts for their 10 children with 8 different partners are the same ones that lack motivation, drive, and desire to succeed. These are the ones that apply for the construction jobs, lawn and landscape jobs, etc. It is just how it is. So, I don't see how I am doing anything wrong. The word turns how it turns. I am just telling the facts. And I know some hard working individuals that did not finish high school. I am not knocking them by any means. But most of these realize they made mistakes and they take steps to improve themselves. The others are left behind as common laborers moving from job, after job, after job. Bohiaa, it is good to have a positive outlook, as you seem to have. And maybe you are one of the lucky few that have great help. But I have tried everything short of offering my business to someone in a handbag, and I have not been able attract anything but flies. :laugh:

10. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

Your problems can easily be solved. Hire Hispanic workers only. It may take several to find what you are looking for, but these people still have the drive and work ethic to get things done. Treat them fairly and they will do the same for you.