1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a new mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramster2000, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Ramster2000

Ramster2000 LawnSite Member

I have an ENCORE Z 48 right now and it isn't cutting very well. I need to buy a new mower. What does everyone recommend? And could you give me a ball park price of what I would have to spend? Thanks
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark lazer hp 52", great cut, great build, unbeatable customer service. usually hear an avg price of around 7200-7500.
  3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

My Husky 48" 18 hp Kawi was $5100. Flawless cut, easy to use and maintain.
  4. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

Wright Stander,either 48" or 52". It will run about 5500
  5. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

Go Exmark or Scag,I think they are the two best.They cost more but like they say you get what you pay for.
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Test them all, twice, then decide. I ve had good luck with a Metro HP. If I had to buy another mower today I would still kick some tires before repurchasing another Metro.

Ive seen alot of Standers lately, they are pretty darn quick.
  7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

If I had to buy another mower, I would get another Exmark. Have had two of them and they have been great machine. Metro HP 48, and Lazer Z HP 52".
  8. marty ray wright

marty ray wright LawnSite Member

exmark or hustler here in dallas the edge goes to exmark for dealer support
  9. Pat McMahon

Pat McMahon LawnSite Member

Bruce, Get the Exmark, but first measure the gates of all of the customers that you have. The reason that I referred alot of the ones that I did to you, was that my 60" Lazer Z wouldn't fit in their back yards.
    I'm trying to limit the # of customers that I have to use the Scag 48 Walk behind on, but a Exmark 52 SHOULD WORK for most of your customers. (I think that it may be too big for Wendy and Sam....)
    Go to the local Exmark dealer (you know who they are), and measure the deck width of the Lazer 52.....I need a 62" gate to fit my 60" deck through, leaving 1/2 inch on each side. So in a 52"...just guessing, you'll need a minimum of 54" to fit throught the gates of your customers.
    In my opinion, I wouldn't buy a smaller mower just to suit my one customer with a small gate. I would buy the biggest mower I could to suit MOST OF MY CUSTOMERS.
    When I got the 60" Lazer, I sent letters to my few PITA customers, with small gates, explaining to them that they would have to find another company or widen their gate, to my suprise (dismay) they all widened their gates! BTW (Wendy and Sam already offered to widen their gate for me prior to this year, so they should be OK with this.)

10. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

Check out Derby or Ferris.....They are good!

Keith Cook