1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a new slicer. help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Mar 6, 2005.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I tried this thread awhile ago and got no love whatsoever. I need a good walk behind slicer, but can't find one with a good adjustment range. Any variation in grade causes a missed spot with the one I have now. I'm looking for one that will go into the ground 2" or more so I can get to those low spots without resorting to a garden weasel. Can anyone help :help:
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

slicer...are you you talking about a slit seeder?
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have pretty good luck with my bluebird slicer. I know what u maen about the skips though. I would think that one with the front and rear wheels as close together as possible would be best. the longer the unit the less it can get into the undulations. I do know that bluebird makes 2 different types, one is the "short" version, but I think it's not as commercial duty, though I know rental places that rent that model out.

I assume that you are looking for a slicer only, no seed box, right?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have a lesco slit seeder works well
  5. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I would love a Slit seeder but for now I have a Ryan Renothin dethatcher/vertical slicer, about 21" width and has replacable Flails for different types of applications.
    $2000 canadian or so I paid.

If you are looking for more than 2" depth this unit may not be the one you want.
  6. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I have a Lesco sliceseeder that works well.
    Just a thought but burying seed 2" in the soil is BURYING the seed and will probably not germinate.
    Maybe consider aerating and overseeding instead/as well.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If you can afford one, Ryan Mattaway... hands down. Best machine I have ever used. :)