1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a new spreader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawman, Feb 15, 2001.

1. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I need a new spreader! What do you like and dislike about the spreader that you are useing. What was the cost model and brand. Did it or is it holding up well. Thanks for your impit.
  2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Prizelawn Bigfoot. Easy to operate. Cost around 300 I think.
  3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco spreaders are the best i've ever seen .they are about 350.00 but worth every penny.
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Call me an oddball but I use a chest spreader to do all my fertilizing. I've used the professional type and the problem I had was the terrian was rough and the slopes were next to impossible to do. It would bounce all over the place and wear me out from fighting to control it. With the chest spreader I can spread as fast as I can walk without spilling any material. Yes it is kinda heavy but not as bad as I thought it would be. It cuts my fertilizing time in half also. It cost less than $100.00 and has steel enclosed gears. It is made by Earthway.
  5. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

Iahve bought dozens of spreaders over the years and the only ones worth the money is the LESCO. we do alot of fert 5-6 million ft per round. so we use these alot. the 80lb.cap is fine with a deflector and cover ans make it stainless.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Get a Lesco spreader. All their products are calibrated for their spreaders and this makes it easier to use. I paid $305 for my stainless steel with a side deflector.
  7. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

As above...LESCO...even spreads Ice Melt well too!!

STEVE HATFIELD LawnSite Member

Have used the Lesco for several years. Have bought the same type in a Spyker spreader. The quality was ok w/ Lesco but Spyker workmanship seems even better. Several ways to control pattern and also can calibrate amount needed with attachment ....same price ....GolfStaff Pro-88 from Spyker
  9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll put a vote in for Spyker. Bought a large stainless steel one with the Penn Mulch attachment. I can top dress with top soil if I want & the patterns are pretty flexible for fertilizers & ice control products.
  10. earthandturf

earthandturf LawnSite Member

I am just starting my own business and am currently working for Scotts. We use Scotts model SR-2000 and I find that it works very well and is built to last. It may be a little more expensive than the Lesco which is also an excellent spreader. Call 1-800-543-0006 to find out who carries this spreader in your area.