1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a new ZTR ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrjata, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mrjata

mrjata LawnSite Member
    from Rea, MO

I am in NW Missouri and am looking for a ZTR. Tired of walking all the yards. Great cardio and conditioning but time consuming. Have had offers but sellers have backed out. Used is fine, abused is not. Open to suggestions.

Thanks for all the great info on the site. I will share my soil treatments at a later date. Makes the grass grow much faster and more dense for a lot $$ with less water.
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If I was already established and was in the business to stay, I wouldnt even look at used. I may consider a demo with a full warranty but thats as close to used as I would get.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What is the profile of your operation? What kinds of properties are you mowing? What are you now using? Could you effectively use a ZTR on all properties, some properties, a portion of all properties (not all because of _______)?

I worked with a w/b for many years, and finally bought a ZTR two seasons ago. Based upon pure economics, the expenses for a ZTR do not warrant a ZTR. In some ways, the ZTR does help with the body, especially because of my age. But, the jostling around on the rider tears up the body too.

My point is that a ZTR might not be the best use of additional expenditures for your business. On the other hand, it may be the best money ever spent. The initial statements do not provide enough information to make an assessment about time savings, added productivity, size of ZTR that would work, terrain that a ZTR might not traverse, etc. Obviously, many on LS have done very well with a ZTR(s) in their equipment list.
  4. mrjata

mrjata LawnSite Member
    from Rea, MO

I only mow a few yards right now and the "walk behind" is a push from behind. Mainly farm ground around buildings, trees, homes. A ZTR would do a great deal to help me. I am not a commercial lawn business, more like a hobby. If I cut a large amount of grass, it is 10' at a pass and it gets baled. Just looking for your input on brand and where to shop. thanks....d