1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a plan

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by EJD Lawnpride, May 11, 2008.

1. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a plan they would like to share with me for my own lawn? My son is allergic to some component in the synthetic fertilizer, especially with herbicide. I would like to keep my newer lawn looking good,just straight milorganite,but i now see weeds coming. Any help would be great.
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of soil do you have? Clay? Clay loam? Sand? Sand loam?
    What kind of weeds? Annuals? Perennials? Broadleaf or grassy?

Is you son allergic to the dusty granulated "Weed and Feed"?
    Can a Liquid 'spot spraying" solve that problem?

How many times have you guys mowed there? We are fixin to mow for a second time here this coming week. The grass already looks like it will over take the broadleaf weeds once we chop their heads off. :)
  3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

how many weeds are we talking about?
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Please stay away from city sewage for a lawn with children or pets. These toxic wastes have extreme levels of heavy metals that build up in the soil and get under finger nails and in the paws of pets.

Might as well just dust lead and aresnic over their food every morning.

Find a good composter in your area, support your local economy not some far flung city that is trying to poison your family.

I get a little passionate about this subject, apologies if I sound a little overboard. It is one of those things that I cannot understand how it is able to be distributed. The product may be better than it was?? but that is like saying I will only shoot you once instead of 10 times. better? it depends on where you are shot, less lead and aresnic?? how much less, any is too much for me. and what about the steroids and pharmacuticals that are dumped all over your yard.
  5. EJD Lawnpride

Even liquids seem to bother him. The weeds aren't that bad,easily can be choked out by thick lawn. However, the lawn is still a little thin,so i need a program to feed organically.
  6. EJD Lawnpride

It is mostly broadleaf weed. We have clay soil in our area.
  7. Smallaxe

Go ahead and mulch the clippings back onto the lawn. Spend a little time pulling weeds by hand. 3 names from GA was talking about a garden weasel I think it was- so that is something to pass the time. As long as spot spraying is out.

If you have a heavy soil you can easily overseed throughout most of the season unless it gets too hot. One small area at a time. Keep it watered.

Around here we call that kind of plan - 'puttering'. Eventually it gets done.
  8. EJD Lawnpride

What organic fertilizer do you recommend? What about CGM for weed control?
  9. Smallaxe

If you have a heavy soil you may get nutrients out of the ground that you were unable to get b4 just by adding compost. Once you build the soil structure and your lawn still looks a little pale try some of the meals. (Corn,soy,alfalfa).
    [I believe there is more lead in stone ware dishes than Milorganite , but who can you believe anymore. Our gov't says the ppm is way below what is acceptable. Out gov't never lies to us.]

Even if you just toss on a couple bags of store bought compost per week/month as often as you feel like it. I think you would see a turn around by the end of summer, as long as you are mulching the clippings. And compost has about the same food value as Milorganite, except the iron.
  10. EJD Lawnpride

Thanks smallaxe