I Need a price check on a Small paver gob.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mike's LawnCare Landscape, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I had a woman call me yesterday,wanting me to put a patio out her back door .When I got there it way smaller then what see kinda told me on the phone .The size is something around 6x10 so 60sf to 100sf job .
    Its on the back side of a house(wheel barrel is the only way of getting every thing back there )
    grade is flat.
    Pavers will be used (belgard or Cemex unless she like the paverstone from homedepo )
    The gob is going to be done correct with platepaker gravel and sand.Just wondering how you guys charge for such a small area.
    Buy the job ,hr ,sf
    I kind would like to see what the average price pr SF you guys are getting .

2. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

You need to price excavation+ materials + labor+ profit...we all have different needs....I cant do a job for under $1500, no matter how small.

3. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Is That $1500 for labor only !!

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

there is no such thing as an average charge per square foot. It differs with so many factors. Only way I get a per square foot price is AFTER the job is finished. The price I quote is per job.

As an example...we did a rectangular patio about 16x24 and the square foot price came out to be about $14.86 ft2. Same house, same pavers we installed a landing about a week later for a deck steps they had put in...was about 6x9. Total cost came out to $34.38 ft2.

5. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

OK on the 6x9 @ $34 a 2ft if you don't mind me asking what was the cost per man HR and how much grading and if that just for the pavers or for clean up and grass or mulch around the patio.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Good questions...

I performed the job over two days. Started Saturday around 7:30 am and ended around 1...that includes travel time for three of us. One guy running a second truck/trailer for materials (Sand, QP, Geo Fabric) most of the time. Two of us excavated by hand 6" down and 6" outside paver area, installed geofabric and compacted QP in 3-4 lifts. Set that to grade and went home.

Came back Monday morning. Two of us verified grade/slope and set up screed rails, screeded sand. Third guy was picking up pavers. One pavers arrived one guyu transported pavers to the pad, another placed them in, and another was running two yards of topsoil around the landing since it was set into a small hillside (hard to explain). Then we swept poly sand, compacted, and swept more sand, and watered in three times over about twenty minutes.

All in all total man-hours I estimated around 33 man-hours. Of which I wasted about a 1.5 hrs b/c we made a mistake squared the landing to the steps and had to pull up and reset. We charged around 1700 for that small landing. I inlcuded in the cost two extra yards of topsoil for grading purposes and a man-hour to seed/grade. FYI, the other landscape/hardscape work (around 9k) included repairing turf, overseeding rear yard, etc. So I included some grade work but not as much if it was just a 'solo' job.

hope this helps.

7. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Man I look back at this and Kinda crack a grin . Saying to my self what a noob. I look back at this and Say Don't price this stuff by the foot at all. Just takes time to learn how to bid on jobs. PS I did not get this job she was wanting it done cheaper then the price for the pavers with out even a base being put down !!!

8. dubb

dubb LawnSite Member

thats when u gotta say hell with these kindof people. i know you wanted to do the job and make a little bit of profit on it but look at all the time you wasted with this customer. you have to learn how to read people and before you even bid the job figure out the amount of money they are willing to spend. good luck in the future!!

9. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

1400-1500 for everything...60 to 100 sq ft be finished in a day tops with 2 guys on the job

10. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

What brand paver is that ?
    How much base?
    How thick your sand ?
    and is that landscaped back to a turn key job?