1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need a small cheap trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Feb 10, 2002.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Home Depot, Lowes? I have only one mower. Just need a small trailer. Should I invest money in a large trailer or just go to the depot and lowes and grab one?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

It would depend greatly on what size trailer you need. The ones I see at home cheepo are around $800-$1200.00. If it is small you want then why don`t you go to a trailer company and get a 4x8 tilt. I got one like this years ago for 350.00. I think that by reading your other posts that you will expand your business, and will outgrow the small one quickly. The rule around here is get the bigger one, unless you don`t have something to pull it with.I have a 6x12, and sometimes I would like a bigger one, but it will hold a 48 in turf tracer, 52 lazer and ultra vac, trimmers, and blower.
  3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Premo Services. Look around. You can find small tilt trailers for around $300. If you are only hauling one mower that would be fine. That dosent leave you any room for expansion though. What kind of mower do you have? If you are only hauling one mower why not buy ramps and haul the mower in your truck?
  4. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Try Harbor Freight Tools. They have several to choose from. In my area, there are several independent makers of trailers that will make just about anything you might want.
    My first trailer was one I went to the junk yard and found. I got it for $35.00 It used to be sign trailer. You know the kind used for political campaigns and advertisment and such. I stuck about $200 into it for new tires and bearings and side rails and paint. After about 20hrs I had a pretty cool looking 10' x 5 trailer. I used it for about a year and sold it for $300
  5. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Rember!!one thing."you get what you pay for"want cheap you will get cheap.
  6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Only 1 mower now?

How much do you expect to expand?

You may think about your trailer purchase a little more. Buying a small trailer limits your expansion without added costs. Buy a little bigger than you need and you will not have that expence when you grow.
  7. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind if you will ever need this trailer for other than mowers. It would be nice to have at least a 6x12 so if you have a mulch job you don't have to make several trips to the supplier's stock yard
  8. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I had 30 lawns last year and worked out of the back of my Pontiac Sunbird. NO lie I will post a pic in a min. I was so tired of working an hourly job. I have a Toro proline commercial, sthl weedeater and Sthl br400 blower. That is all I really need to put in a small trailer. Maybe a ladder or some trash later.

9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Instead of a trailer, I think a truck would be a good start.
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

As others have said, take the money you were going to use for a trailer, plus whatever you can get for the Sunbird and buy a decent used truck.