I need a Speedometer for zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by horseman201, Nov 26, 2004.

1. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

I need a speedometer for my Bunton zero turn and was looking at a bicycle speedometer but didn't know if I needed a computer or manual. What do you guys think?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What is the purpose of having a speedomter on your mower may I ask?
  3. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

I am going to get either a JRCO or LESCO broadcast spreader and I have to maintain 3 mph. LESCO says that you can go faster if you open the spreader up more but I am looking more for consistancy to spread.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

way to think ahead. Do you really need it though? Can you just get the feel for the speed? I mean after a couple of applications you should be able to tell approx where you need to be at. It's compariable to the walking speed for an applicator. He is not necessarily going to be going the same speed every time, but approx the same speed.
  5. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

You can use the throttle to regulate speed with the controls all the way forward. Then you can simply go back to the same tach setting next time.
  6. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I always run the throttle and full other wise you reduce the power the blades have and will bog down
  7. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

If you have to know how fast you're going, I would say try a GPS system.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

He is running a spreader. Blades should not be turned on during this time.
    Running a lower throttle does not damage the engine in any way. I have worked with many good small engine mechanics, somewhat apprenticed by one of them, and i do alot of my own work. My garden tractors rarely run at full throttle as i'm usually just dragging something around the yard or whatever. No need to race the motor if it is not under a load.
    Now, on my Z, 3 mph with the sticks all the way foward you'd be at just a hair above idle, and there is little power there to move a 1,000# machine (plus operator and spreader weight), due to the fact that those hydraulics suck alot of power. If you were only on flat ground that'd probably work ok, but for this particular application i think you need about medium throttle and just get a feel for the speed. I don't think they mean exactly 3.0 mph, just as close as you can get. I don't know squat about spreading materials like that but i do not beleive they truly expect anyone to maintain exactly 3.0 mph with no changes in speed. Just my opinion.
    IceBergAbe likes this.
  9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You will travel 264 feet in one minute if you are running 3 miles per hour, measure that distance off and time your self driving that distance a few times and you have the feel for that speed. Your mower is designed to run at a certain rpm setting so you need to govern your speed with the hydraulics.
  10. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

ah sorry I missed the spreader part