I need a sun-loving plant for this spot...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Patrick G., May 23, 2005.

1. Patrick G.

Patrick G. LawnSite Member

Greetings. I need some ideas for a plant to go in this spot:

[​IMG]

I need something to replace the grass that isn't growing there. I want something that thrives in FULL SUN as the house faces directly south and that spot gets full sun all day. I would like something you don't see everyday - something striking/colorful if possible - something that doesn't get over 3 ft. or so high - something to help block the electrical outlet. I don't want to spend over $60 on the plant. The house is in Zone 6. Any suggestions?

2. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Rose bush
    Ottolaruel
    Nandina
    Sky Pencil
    Lorapetluem (may get too big for that small of an area)
    the list goes on and on

3. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

peonys, would look nice there

4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

one Gulfstream Nandina or one Firepower Nandina or

one Pennisetum 'Hameln"(ornamental grass)

Anything else suggested is going to get too large for the space

5. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Golden Barberry

6. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

plant some mexican sage

its a perennial though... you want something thats gonna be there all year and flower? or just something under the window and green?

:blob3:

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

One Spirea "gold flame" would be my choice. It will fill in that area where the arrow is pointing exploding with color...........The barberry would give the color but the thorns next to the walkway would take it out of the picture. This spirea would give the same color as the barberry in the summer with a great fall transition to orange. Would be and eye catcher.

Attached Files:

8. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

I second the recommendation for the spirea, and it flowers in summer if it isnt sheared :)

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm'

Blooms for a VERY long time summer into fall.

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You have an odd shaped and small bed there, as I'm sure you know. By putting one of these and one of those the bed has no unity. Not to say that it has to have unity, but it would make it look less like you came home from the nursery each week with something you liked and stuck it there. You can still mix plants, but you should try something that binds it together in my opinion. I would suggest that you remove the purple perennial and group a triangle of three of the same shrub with the middle one in front centered on the receptacle. That will give the bed unity, still work within that tapered bed shape, and allow you to fill the voids with any of your favorite plants. I like the dianthus where it is and then add something that you like between in the triangular void between the arb and the three new plants.

The three plants could be spirea (I'd use 'Little Princess' because it is a less illl looking foliage color in my opinion). You'll have to trim them back to not over grow that space as well. The bright green foliage will pop enough, but is green enough for unity while 'Gold Flame' may self isolate a bit.

The arb is going to need you to be vigilant at shearing it every year starting this year or you'll be needing to take down too much at once in a few years. It is good to keep the top from being too fluffy if you live in snow country anyway. Even though it requires yearly maintenance, I think the form probably is right for softening that corner.

An ornamental grass is not a good form to match with that arb in this situation in my opinion.