I need a trailer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a 12-16 footer so I can haul two mowers once I get the business rolling, what should I expect to pay for this???

Also, my F-150 has no towing hitch, what weight package should I install??? And with a 2WD truck, will pulling two mowers cause long term transmission problems for me???

Once again, thanks for the help!!
  2. 16' tandum with trailer brakes and ramp gate. cost about $1000 or less. depends on where you look. If close to me I know wher you can get one like this for $925 with brakes on both axels.

Weight about 1000 pounds.

Buy one bigger than what you think you need.

Also the 16' can hold 3 mowers with some extra room to spare, can haul a total of 7000 pounds including the trailer.

Install a trans cooler, when you get a 2" receiver hitch. Also buy a hitch ball that has a 1" shank and a 2" ball.

Look for a class 3,4, or 5 hitch.

Get a brake controler for the truck.

About total cost for this;

Trailer $1000
    Hitch installed and wired $250
    Brake controler installed at time of hitch $100
    Trans oil cooler $200
  3. Jon99

Well color me dumb.... :)

But whats the difference between a Class 3,4 and 5 hitch????

I just called a place here and he quoted me a price of $179 and $45 labor to install a 10,000 LB hitch... Will that get the job done for me????

I might take you up on your offer on the trailer... I live in the Joliet area and so far the cheapest price I have seen for a 16 footer is $1900.. Let me know if you know any place along the I-55 corridor that will shoot me a better deal...
  4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i'm bringing some back in 2 weeks, i'm in s.e.iowa 2 - 3 hours from joliet.

6x16 lawn service, tandem 3500# axles, new 15" tires and white spoke wheels, 4' gate, 2' mesh sides, 2 trimmer racks, 2x8 treated floor, fold-up jack, light protectors, etc. $1299

without racks, 2' mesh sides...$999

i will deliver to joliet for $100

5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

i like the looks of those trailers. Only thing that bothers me is the lack of reinforcment running straight back from the hitch, and a reinforcement from that to the top rail is nice also... Mine has all of these and it still bows slightly fully loaded
  6. captdevo

the tongue is 4 1/2 channel 1/4" thick, these are tough.

the car haulers we have square tubing in the center.

i know what you mean by bowing, i had a guy bring in a cheap fab trailer he used to haul a case 1845 skidsteer on that the tongue was twisted from all the weight.
  7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

captdevo, excellent price on a nice looking trailer. I've been looking for a tandem. For a 14 ft tandem with a ramp gate and a top rail (no mesh, no trimmer racks) $1899.00. ridiculous but I guess they can get it as they have been in business for awhile.

Wish you were closer.
  8. captdevo

thanks, i'm going to boulder, co. this fall, let me know, i could easily bring a few.

btw......if anyone wants one, i'm coming back from tampa, florida around july 10th up I-75 through atlanta, nashville, and indy with eleven trailers, different sizes.

if you have a way to unload one, it'll save you money.

or if anyone wants one brought to louisville for the expo, drop me a line. i have a buddy there with lift access.

9. Jon99

I do like that trailer and thats a great price...

Any way to get one with a basic 12" rail on the three sides????

Another thing that I like but I am not sure how much it would get used is the trailers that have a second gate on one of the sides, toward the front... Seems like an easy way to get the front mower off the trailer without having to take off the back mower...
  10. Jon99 take him up on the offer!!

The ones near me are 1' side used wood floor, and used wheels for $925.

The ones I put you would have to add $200 for treated floor and $300 for new tires and rims.

10,000 hitch is class 5 so you are good there.

Your truck can pull that only for a short time and not be to safe with that kind of weight behind it, but better safe than sorry when it comes to towing.