I need a tree recommendation... please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to put a tree in front of my house and need help picking out the perfect one. Maximum canopy spread of 12' and I'd like the lowest limbs to be no lower than 6'.

Am I asking for too much?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, you're limiting yourself a bit, but one tree that I can think of off the top of my head is a flowering crabapple, "Red Baron". Grows nice and tight, has deep pink, almost red flowers, and you'll be able to trim up the lower branches as it grows without affecting it's shape.

Mike

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Mike.. Thanks for the suggestion. Does it bare fruit? I'd rather not deal with picking up after it. :(

4. Grassmechanic

Yes, they bear fruit. Fruit is very small (about size of a nickel), hangs on for along time. The birds usually eat it before it falls. I don't recall seeing any fruit laying on the ground underneath any that I've seen. Relatively clean tree for a flowering crabapple.

Mike

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Crepe Myrtle, there are a few kinds that don't get too large.

6. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

god i luv dem crype mertels...but he is in maryland,will the live up there?
    how about a japanese cherrie tree?
    or maybe cherry laurel?
    bradford pear?
    ummm......

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The perfect 'front 'yard' speciman tree....Year round interest, disease/insect resistant..........make sure it grows in your zone....... Paperbark Maple, Acer griseum.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

How about a nice red jap. maple, dogwood, some type of cherry, crepe myrtle, loquat, cherry-laurel, redbud, Goldenchain tree, saucer magnolia, star magnolia, purple leaf plum are just a few choices.

9. Grassmechanic

While those are all nice trees, they will, unfortunately, exceed his size requirements at maturity.

Mike

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

According to Dirr....Paperbark is 20-30' tall, spread 1/2 that of height....smaller under cultivation.;) :p