1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Need a Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pilotcoplawnboy, Feb 11, 2003.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

I have $7000.00 to spend on a truck. I have always used my fathers equipment and now I'm starting my own side-business. Any ideas to what would be a good reliable truck? I know everyone has their own preferences to what type of truck they like(ford,chevy, etc), but I'm open to all opinions.
  2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

We can't tell you what will be reliable or not. You'll just have to go out and find the best deal you can wether it be Ford, Dodge, or Chevy.
  3. pilotcoplawnboy

Thanks!!! I guess I'll have to go with my gut! FORD.
  4. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ford all the way.:)
  5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

6. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

I have never owned a Ford that didnt let me down atleast once,
    :angry: :angry: :angry:

go for the Chevy. or my personal favorite Isuzu cab over
  7. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

If there is any way you can swing a diesel, get Dodge Cummins. But with only $7000, I don't know how possible that will be.

For gassers, Chevy rules the roost. Depending on the size of trailer you are pulling, a 1500 with the time tested and proven 5.7L 350 V-8 is one of the best trucks for light trailers. Good luck....:D :D
  8. pilotcoplawnboy

I knew that by me saying I was getting a FORD would get some responses. I'm not looking for anything big. Since I am a part-timer I will be pulling a single axle, 5'x10' trailer. I have one walk behind and a 22incher. Thanks to everyone.
  9. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I bought a 93 f-150 last spring with the 300 I-6 (horrible fuel mileage, but reliable) 119,000 miles but it was in good shape for 4,000.00 cash, they were asking 6900.00 but cash does wonders, I could've got a lot more truck if I didn't want 4 wheel drive, not so sure that next time I will get a 4x4. you should be able to get a pretty good truck for 7,000.00. check it over real good, don't rush and good luck
  10. TedsLawnScaping

TedsLawnScaping LawnSite Member