I need advice asap (on a trailer)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scagdude, Jan 13, 2009.

1. scagdude

scagdude LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hey guys,
    i will be purchasing a 6.5'x12' trailer with 2' sides lined with extended metal, a landscape box on the front and trimmer racks on the side as well as a ramp on the back.(it will be an open trailer) i called about a month ago to get quoted and then i called today and it was $300 cheaper!! i am just curious whether now would be the time to buy or if i should wait a couple weekes/a month or so? i am just borrowing a 5x8 right now and it only fits one of my walk behinds so it is way too small.

I need advice asap.
    thanks in advance.

2. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

If you have the money buy know because the price is likely to go back up in the spring.If I were you I would get a 16" double axle trailer you will probably outgrow the one you are buying in 2 years. That is if you do your homework and apply yourself.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I outgrew that size trailer in about a month MAYBE two tops.

Go bigger.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I don't understand how you out grow a trailer that you use to do solo work? If I was mowing 60 accounts a week by my self or 20 accounts, a bigger trailer isn't going to get the jobs done any faster and I'll be pulling more weight. A 6x12 is just about the right size for a solo person if ya ask me. If you use it right, you shouldn't need anything more. Now if you want to hire employee's and buy more equipment then yes, go big but if you work solo and have everything you need, get the trailer now while the price is lower. You probably figured I work solo and I also have a 6x12. I can fit everything I need to do all the work I offer from my business on my trailer.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do not get a double axle trailer unless you absolutely need it....they eat up tires.

6. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Your right for a solo you can pretty much do everything on what you have.But with my zero turn and all my equipment I might be over my weight limit. I havent taken the time to calculate but I know its close. I know a guy could use a dump trailer sometimes. I am bidding on some big properties for this year and if I land any of them I will have to buy another Z and a bigger trailer.

7. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same tires on my tandem axle for over a year now and they hardly show any wear at all. A lot easier to tow also and great when you need to haul a load of sod or topsoil.

8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the problem. You may think right now you only want to be solo and a certain size trailer is right, but what happens in a year or two and all of a sudden you want to grow. This has happened to me albeit with a 5x8. Its way too small! At the time though, I thought that would be all I would need. I am at least moving up to a 6x12 and even contemplating bigger. I dont need anything bigger than a 6x12 now but I may next season.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Why would you have to buy a new trailer and another mower? Don't you already have them? How will you ride 2 different mowers at the same time? Or do you really have someone else working with you?

10. Blunt

Blunt LawnSite Member

I recently started and 5X14 only lets me carry my tractor if i put my push mower in the back of my van. So im looking at getting a 24' tandem. I am getting tired of bush hogging a 2 acre lot then having to do the lawn with my 21". Where i live im lucky to get a mowing job withing a 20 minute drive many are closer to a hour. yes i add in the cost of travel. I also hear thats a lot of money but every one else has refused the job so go ahead. So far they have asked me back despite the cost so i hope im doing something right. Also many peaple don't realize how fast a tractor can go belly up when cutting brush or how often i have to twist out of the way of a large branch thats trying to skewer me. good luck with your trailer choice i think i will need several different ones.