I need advice on dealer screw-up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a commercial Snapper a couple weeks ago from a dealer I have never dealt with before. He was a real sleezy, talkative salesman guy, so I already didn't want to deal with him. I asked a couple of technical questions and he just gave ridiculous answers. I even caught him in a lie once. Whatever, I just decided I wanted to the mower.

I bought it and they serviced it, I was somewhat happy with it. After 5 hours of use, I turned it over and only 5 oz. of oil came out!! The thing holds 24 oz. capacity, but I didn't know this and figured that all the oil just didn't come out, so I just filled it with 5 oz. of new oil to go mow for another 3 hours the next day, figuring I would sort out the problem the next day.

The mower was a champion all this time, until the next week when it crapped out on me. The thing will not mow anymore, there is permanent damage, only the dealer will not do anything for me. He doesn't believe me and thinks I just screwed up myself somehow.

And get this.... he says I should check the oil after every lawn! HaHa. Never mind the fact that the oil guage read full all this time, but that is crazy!

What would you do? I am going to take the mower into another dealer and hopefully they will repair it under warranty, but I know the mower will never be as good as new, even if I am that lucky.

BTW, the dealer is Degan's in Miramar, FL. In the past couple days I have heard so many horror stories about this place, it makes me sick. Don't go there. The guy has a complex serious complex.

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Give Snapper a call and see what they will do for you. Tell them about your dealings with the dealer and how you were treated.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Snapper (now owned by Briggs) will not take people trashing there name. Call Snapper and tell them. You may not get your mower fixed but maybe you can get his dealer license taken away.

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about anyone else, BUT I DO CHECK OIL ON MY MOWERS EVERYDAY!

IF there is some problem, I will check it more often. (If I notice drips on my trailer, etc.) Once the problem is fixed, I go back to checking daily. Takes 10 seconds to do but can save BIG BUCKS! (as you will/are finding out)

Mike

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper puts a small amount of oil in the engine on the assembly line and starts it for a few seconds to check for proper operation of the mower. I watched this operation a couple of weeks ago and they didn't drain the engine prior to packaging.

Everyone can figure out the rest of the story.

Oldtimer

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I would assume the shmucks that assembled it didn't add any oil what so ever. I think the few ounces that were in it were from the factory to test the engine. This didn't releave you from your responsibility to check your fluids before operating the mower. New engines use some oil initially until the rings seat.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

"the oil guage read full all this time, but that is crazy!" I have been wondering about that statement. What make engine are we talking about here any way?

8. Mr. Magpie

GrassBuster: Read my post again..... I said after every lawn.

It's a honda engine, 5 horse. I was screwing the dipstick in while I was checking it though (your not supposed to), so that was adding some level, but basically when I checked it, it had oil all over the operating range and more. This is what is boggling me.

9. Mr. Magpie

also, keep in mind that the dealer started the engine up too, so he must have checked the oil level, right? wrong.

I have a very structured household, so none of my stuff got touched. It just sat there, and then I used it. Nothing out of the ordinary could have happened to it (well, anything could have happened to it, but within reason nothing could have).

I think I should call this guy in to Snapper. He's the devil.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

You are supposed to wipe the dipstick before checking the oil.

Oldtimer