I need advice on getting certified.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Vikings, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I could use some advice. I'm going to get certified but I need to complete two courses according to this:

"NOTE: To qualify for Pesticide Applicator/Dispenser Certificate you must successfully complete the Pesticide Core exam and one other Category exam (excluding Grower Certification)."

of these options what would you recommend:

Mosquito $64.74 ea
    Landscape/Golf Course $82.39 ea
    Agriculture Ground** $82.39 ea
    Seed Treatment** $70.62 ea
    There is a few others that I don't think are applicable.

Maybe all of them?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you want to offer mosquito control as part of your service and stand out from other companies, then go for that. If you want to offer fertilizer and weed control, go with the third one. Basically the more services you can offer the more business you'll get. It all depends on what kind of services you want your business to offer.
    I would definitely get certified in whatever it is your going to be selling. Most importantly don't do any applications of any kind, until you are 100% sure you can do them properly.
    Good Luck.

3. Vikings

from canada

I don't know why I put in mosquito control because I don't want anything to do with that, city sprays everything.

So you suggest agriculture ground, eh? I'm not sure what that even is but can you tell me what seed treatment is? Does it have to do with over seeding?

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I recomend getting certified in Turf related issues. like Weed control, disease, turf insects and fertilizer. I don't know what you guys in canada call it. Get certified in whatever you want to offer.

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

No, it is innoculating seed with pesticides. THat is a highly specialized catergory that seed growers/packers deal with.

6. Vikings

from canada

Hey thanks for that, saved me some money in books maybe.

I talked to the city here again, they recommend the pesticide core exam and Landscape/golf. I will hopefully have a clue after getting certified, I really hope they are a LOT more than rubber-stamped courses.