I need advice on what to do!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by superdoG, Sep 14, 2009.

1. superdoG

superdoG LawnSite Member

I am in a pickle. I want to quite my full time job and do lawns full time. I have about 20 yards right now. The business is making about 12 k a year right now and I am needing to triple that in order for me AND my wife to quit our jobs. I can only do so many yards with working my other job and my schedule is getting full. I will have to quite soon if I want to keep growing the biz without hiring any one.
    We thought about buying a biz but does anyone have any thoughts as to what they would do in this situation?

Thanks for sharing!
  2. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

Keep both of your fulltime jobs for now. I am assuming that she is currently helping now. Two (2) people can do a lot of work in the evenings and on Saturday. Grow the business and decide over the winter if that is what you both want to do. Save every dime that you can this year and if you are for sure that this is what you want to do, then start next spring fulltime and fullbore. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

how is it possible for you and your wife to both quit your jobs for 36k a year???
  4. superdoG

superdoG LawnSite Member

But my lawns only bring in 12 k a year. Right now, we make about 50 a year. It would be a HUGE leap of "faith".
    Unless there is some marketing idea that could get me a buch of yards real quick.
  5. superdoG

superdoG LawnSite Member

That would just get us by....until it grew more.
  6. GraZHopA

I don't know where you are located, but mowing season is winding down for the majority of the country. Can you afford to throw ~50k a year out the window and live on 12k. Most of us can't do that. There is a hugh difference in ~62k now and the projected leap of faith income.
  7. superdoG

superdoG LawnSite Member

The 50 k includes the mowing. So we make about 35 without the mowing.
  8. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the other posts but I dont think you should give up on the idea of being your own boss full time. Save save save as much money as you can squirrel away this winter, get some advertising going late winter into spring and line up the work for next season. Why do you both have to quit your jobs? Why not just you jump ship until your business can support you both? Good luck, most of us have had to make that exact decision at some point in our careers.
  9. GraZHopA

Well Said!
  10. cphillips0053

cphillips0053 LawnSite Member

Get some commercial contract work lined up. Most of that is year round and a pretty secure monthly income. Not be confused with Guaranteed monthly income. A few big properties can take help you take that leap of faith.