I need an educated answer here!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Apr 16, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The last frost was about 2 weeks ago here in Kansas. The turf is a fescue blend. I walked through the lawn to check yesterday's mail early morning after the frost. At the mailbox I noticed how my footprints laid over the grass terribly, so my way back I tried to walk in the same footprints. A week later I am mowing my lawn and noticed that my footprints from the previous week and turned the grass brown, appearing to had killed the grass. I feel pretty sure that the grass is not dead, but was just wondering why did it turn brown. I included a photo. My guess is that it just broke the blades of grass causing some sort of stress? I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I am not THAT heavy (less the 200 pounds).

What's going on here?
    MATT

foot prints.jpg

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

The reason for the brown spots, you have "broken" the grass. It will come back but thats what happened. That is why golf courses won't let you play on them until the frost thaws.

3. Rough nite? Or were you snockered that early in the morning? LOL

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

redbull, is correct. It will come back.

Gravely_Man

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Rough nite!! If I would have been snockered it would have been more of a "hop-scotch" pattern:D

Thanks for the help, that's what I was guessing.
    MATT

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

...especially the putting greens. They would take a beating because the grass is mowed so short.

7. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I've been there, done that...Luckily on the Tee box.

8. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I saw foot prints like that once. I was going by a very nice neighborhood as I always do. There was a guy walking around in the mulch bed spraying round up. The next couple weeks I drove by again and there was footprints in the grass going from bed to bed. Hummm wonder what happened??????

9. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Just adding to whats already been said. Here's a technical answer that might impress your clients.

Waking on the grass during freezing temperatures will crush it's molecular structure, severly damaging it. :D

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, you're all wrong.

The grass is not brown at all! It's actually every color but brown, thus it reflects the color brown and appears to be brown to the layman.

How's that for an over educated answer?