1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need an Operating Agreement...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Doug Z., Jan 29, 2006.

1. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

Can anybodyhelp me??
    I started my business in 1998 as a sole prop. At the end of 2004, after my accountant and lawyer suggested it, I went to an LLC. When my accountant mentioned it, he told me it would cost between $500 and 750 for him to do. After I got my lawyer(for a different matter) he drew it up for me, but it cost me under $ 200.00. Last year I decided to check into it. Come to find out, he had done my Articles of Organization, but that was it. To become a recognized LLC, I also need to file an operating agreement.
    I don't really want to spend $ 500.00additional dollars to do this. Does anybody know where I can find a generic one to go off of???
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Go to a bookstore or online and purchase one of the books that has the cd in the back sleeve. They have an example operating agreement in it. You could just cut and paste if you wanted to make it really simple since you are a solo.?.?
  3. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

i went through this last month , if you are a sole prop. u do NOT need it , depends what state , its more of a partner ship thing , unnecessary if your sole ,
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

In Florida a paralegal will do it for about $150 plus the state filing fee of $125. Takes about 10 minutes in the office and about a week to recieve the stuff back from the state via email.
  5. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I had my attorney draw up the articles of organization, but inorder to comnplete the LLC, I need the operating agreement.
    I understand if I stay a sole prop. that I dont need any of this, but I want the protection of an LLC.
    I will look at barnes and noble, see if i can find one.
  6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

My accountant drew up and filed my LLC for $175.00 last year.

He also did the INC for my video production business for the same price.

Find a different CPA and attorney.